Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: EAC External Compression Not Working... Should I Rerip? (Read 3525 times) previous topic - next topic

EAC External Compression Not Working... Should I Rerip?

I realized this issue after ripping three or four CDs. I don't really want to rerip, especially since the logs said they were accurately ripped anyway. It just wasn't converting to FLAC because I copied an incorrect command line. I fixed it and have FLAC files now. Will I be able to just convert the WAV files to FLAC myself? Or did EAC try to convert them and somehow corrupt the files?

Also, is dBpoweramp a good choice for converting said files to FLAC?

Reply #1
If it didn't convert them to FLAC it probably means you made a mistake when writing the command line for flac. It shouldn't have corrupted the wave files.
If you want to make sure, just load them into cuetools (or foobar with foo_verifier installed) and verify them against accuraterip/ctdb.

As for dBpoweramp, it's a good piece of software, but I prefer free tools, so I'm using either foobar or cuetools to convert files to any format I need.

Reply #2
If you convert the WAV files to FLAC then they probably won't have any tags. Easiest to just rerip.

Edit: If I'm not mistaken, the free version of dBpoweramp will convert WAV to FLAC.

Reply #3
Another method of converting WAV to FLAC is by using a batch script. It only needs the flac executable.
The batch script can be created with a simple text editor like notepad.

I'm not good at explaining things in detail with words, but this image should tell the whole story: (using Radiohead's Pablo Honey as an example)

Reply #4
I realized this issue after ripping three or four CDs. I don't really want to rerip, especially since the logs said they were accurately ripped anyway. It just wasn't converting to FLAC because I copied an incorrect command line. I fixed it and have FLAC files now. Will I be able to just convert the WAV files to FLAC myself? Or did EAC try to convert them and somehow corrupt the files?

Also, is dBpoweramp a good choice for converting said files to FLAC?

EAC is fine.

I'd make sure that the EAC script I was using was adding correct tags and re-rip.

I don't know why one would worry about re-ripping - its a simple mechanical operation. IME getting the tags right is a lot more trouble than getting the audio right.

Reply #5
No need to use a different app just to do WAV to FLAC conversion.
EAC has this under Tools > Compress WAVs (Alt+V).
It will use whatever compression tool you've already configured for your compressed rips.

As pdq mentioned, you'll have to add tags yourself, with some other tool (mp3Tag, foobar2000, ... probably many other options).