Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Amount of Compression for ALAC and FLAC (Read 5343 times) previous topic - next topic

Amount of Compression for ALAC and FLAC

I read the sticky thread above about all the lossless formats and was confused about one thing. When it says FLAC has 58,70% compression and ALAC compresses at 58,50% what does the 58 mean? and does the percentage mean that FLAC for example is 70% of the original wav or it takes away 70% of the wav file making it 30% of the size.
Bottom line: if the WAV file=100mb
                      FLAC=?
                      ALAC=?

Reply #1
% of original wav

example:

0.587 x 1411kbps = 828k
0.585 x 1411kbps = 825k

Reply #2
50% of 1000 is 500. 58.70% of X is Y, where
Code: [Select]
  X            Y
------ = -------
100%     58.70%

so

Y = (X * 58.70) / 100

being X the number of bytes a wav ocupies, and Y how much it would ocupy as encoded

Reply #3
% of original wav

example:

0.587 x 1411kbps = 828k
0.585 x 1411kbps = 825k
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327272"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ok so are you saying it will display as 828k for both flac and alac but be very different in file sizes since one is specified to be 70% and one 50% of the original size?

Reply #4
and oh, which is smaller flac or alac? that was one of my questions

Reply #5
50% of 1000 is 500. 58.70% of X is Y, where
Code: [Select]
  X            Y
------ = -------
100%     58.70%

so

Y = (X * 58.70) / 100

being X the number of bytes a wav ocupies, and Y how much it would ocupy as encoded
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327275"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Yes I get it but why is there 2 percentage values for flac 58 and 70% for example. is it variable depending on the song sort of like a tiff file for images?

Reply #6
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327281"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

They're roughly the same. Usually not much more than 1-3mb difference on an entire album to one or the others advantage.

Reply #7

They're roughly the same. Usually not much more than 1-3mb difference on an entire album to one or the others advantage.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327284"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

OK, just wondering what the 70% for flac and 50% for alac meant... insignificant??? so they are probably both just around 58% compression then?

Reply #8
Donunus, I think your confusion is in the fact that the numbers are using a European formatting where a comma is the decimal separator and a period is the thousands separator.
US: 1,234,567.89
Euro: 1.234.567,89

So...
Euro: 58,70% = US: 58.70%
Euro: 58,50% = US: 58.50%
[span style=\'font-size:8pt;line-height:100%\']I wouldn't know a subtle hint if it stood on my desk in a purple dress dancing and singing, "Subtle hints are here again!"[/span]

Reply #9
Donunus, I think your confusion is in the fact that the numbers are using a European formatting where a comma is the decimal separator and a period is the thousands separator.

So...
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327287"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

AAAARGH.... EUREKA!!! Thanks a lot. Thats the first time i've heard of that. I guess i learn something everyday. so the sticky is european... and i thought it had 2 values

Reply #10

So...

AAAARGH.... EUREKA!!! Thanks a lot. Thats the first time i've heard of that. I guess i learn something everyday. so the sticky is european... and i thought it had 2 values
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=327288"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Wow, me too, I've ran into this many times reading different threads here and most times I thought I was seeing either a ratio or two values!...Thanks to Fenterbug for taking the time to point this out  !

Reply #11

Those wacky Europeans...

Reply #12

So...

Actually, the European formatting (not British) would be
1 234 567,89

Reply #13

I recently switched back to Windows after being on a Mac for two years, so I've actually been converting my ALAC files to FLAC -q5. As others have said, FLAC -q5 and ALAC are very similar, with FLAC being a little bit smaller most of the time (at least for the hundered or so albums I've converted).

That being said, I personally wouldn't use ALAC unless you are on a Mac or use an iPod, though; FLAC has much better hardware and software support ATM.