Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How to play a single track from a random album, then from the next random album (Read 717 times) previous topic - next topic

How to play a single track from a random album, then from the next random album

I'm figuring there's some way to do this, but I'm unsure how to search for it (google searches weren't helpful).

Let's say I have ten albums. Nine of the albums have ten tracks each. One of the albums has 100 tracks.

If I shuffle by track, I'm going to hear a disproportionate number of tracks from the one album, which I don't want.

I'd like an even distribution of tracks from all of the albums.

Play one track from album #1, then play one track from album #8, etc.

What magical (or extremely obvious and I'm missing it) method can be used to accomplish this goal?

I realize that eventually I'm going to be left with 90 tracks of the one album (in this exact scenario), but with a large enough library of albums, I won't reach that point any time soon in real life.

Thanks!

Re: How to play a single track from a random album, then from the next random album

Reply #1
Nine of the albums have ten tracks each. One of the albums has 100 tracks.
If I shuffle by track, I'm going to hear a disproportionate number of tracks from the one album, which I don't want....

I realize that eventually I'm going to be left with 90 tracks of the one album (in this exact scenario), but with a large enough library of albums, I won't reach that point any time soon in real life.
If you take a step back and look at your issue in an unbiased fashion, your question is negated by the fact you want a random play order based on non-random criteria: albums. If you can't ignore your album fixation for playing random songs, your only option is to split the 100 track large album into 10 ten track discs
Neither an audiophile, nor album snob. Why do ratings threads always have someone saying they don't believe in rating music?
Record Label Icons: 600x600 pngs appropriate for any color background:
freeimage.host/johnbuck/?list=images&sort=name_asc&page=1

Re: How to play a single track from a random album, then from the next random album

Reply #2
I'm figuring there's some way to do this, but I'm unsure how to search for it (google searches weren't helpful).

Let's say I have ten albums. Nine of the albums have ten tracks each. One of the albums has 100 tracks.

If I shuffle by track, I'm going to hear a disproportionate number of tracks from the one album, which I don't want.

I'd like an even distribution of tracks from all of the albums.

Play one track from album #1, then play one track from album #8, etc.

What magical (or extremely obvious and I'm missing it) method can be used to accomplish this goal?

Thanks!
This questions appears from time to time...
1. Copy the desired tracks into a playlist.
3. Use Playlists Tools\Selection Manipulation\Scatter by tags\Intercalate by album.
3. Play by order. You are ensured a single play of every album before starting the cycle again
X
Works for asymmetric number of tracks per group. And if there are remaining tracks which can not be grouped, they are put at the end.

Link at my sig. Download zip from repository (green buton 'Code'), not latest release.