Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 v2.0beta2 x64 accessibility problem (Read 2297 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 v2.0beta2 x64 accessibility problem

Hello,
I noticed an accessibility bug in fb2k v2.0b2 x64. Same version x86 works fine.
I am using the NVDA screen reader.
In the preferences, some check boxes do not read whether they are checked or not.
For example, Preferences / display / Context Menu. When I navigate through the list of icons, the context menu says its name and number of items, and does not announce the selection status. Same for Advanced preferences. For example, the Write EXTm3U playlists option is unavailable for screen readers (we can't find out if it's checked or unchecked).
I have described it as best as I can. Hope you understood my report.
Greetings

Re: foobar2000 v2.0beta2 x64 accessibility problem

Reply #1
I updated to beta 3 because I didn't find out about this version right away and inform you that the problem persists.

Reply #2
It's now mid-Janury, and inaccessibility is still a major problem with screen readers.  There are serious unusable boxes and lists for configuration, and this is version 22.  Is there some way to get these issues resolved?  JRiver, for one, refuses to do anything with their software.  FB2K has been, for the most part, good for blind users.

Reply #3
Problem confirmed, thanks for reporting.
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #4
... and fixed in beta 23.

Reply #5
Unfortunately I installed beta 24 and this problem exist.
I've tried two screen readers NVDA and Narrator and I don't get the state of checkbox selection in for example preferences/display/context menu.
This happens on the portable version, I haven't tried the installer yet.
Anyone still confirming the issue?

Reply #6
Hello,
I noticed that the latest betas are marked as release candidates. I just wanted to inform that the accessibility issues I described still exist in the 64-bit version. Neither NVDA nor Narrator announces checkbox status, eg in preferences/display/context menu and advanced preferences.
Sorry to bother you, but I think it's important that the program is properly accessible with screenreaders as well.
Greetings

Reply #9
Thanks for bringing this up.

I can't get MS Narrator to read checkbox states of either tree view, Context Menu or Advanced Preferences.
This problem seems to be decades old rather than introduced recently, does not appear affected by running 32bit/64bit foobar2000, happens all the same in old foobar2000 versions. What Windows version are you running?

On the other hand, NVDA seems to have no trouble reading checkbox states in Context Menu preferences, regardless of 32bit or 64bit build of foobar2000. However it can't read radio check boxes in Advanced Preferences.

Indeed foobar2000 does not feed this information to the screen reader, due issues with tree view internals. It would seem that NVDA reads it by doing some guesswork. I'll investigate this for a future update.

Reply #10
I'm working on Windows 10 pro  22H2  19045.2846
I have windows 10 pro x64 22h2 on both of my machines and I'm having these issues.
I even recorded how it looks by my side.
Really. I checked and in narrator, even on the 32-bit version, the checkboxes in the preferences/context menu are not spoken.

It's hard for me to say exactly. Maybe the problem is half on foobar's side and half on NVDA's side? I would have to report this issue im github.

Reply #11
Problem with tree view check boxes (Context Menu & Advanced preferences) *is* on foobar2000 side, do not report it to NVDA please.

I'm actively working on fixing this.

I'm just surprised that it ever appeared to work properly, or that NVDA manages to read some of the checkboxes, they must have app-specific hacks for foobar2000 or so. They will be able to drop these when I deploy a proper fix later.

Reply #12
Hello
I downloaded the latest preview version X64 2023-05-09 and it seems that NVDA is reading the checkboxes in the context menu and in the advanced preferences tree again. Thank you!