Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LAME compiles test: Dibrom's & Mitiok's (Read 11565 times) previous topic - next topic

LAME compiles test: Dibrom's & Mitiok's

Reply #25
Free under linux...That's interesting...

And they only want your name, email address and country to download!

Some Mr Gaylord Fooker  with email thisisso@fake.com  from Zimbabwe just downloaded it.

Reply #26
Free under linux...That's interesting...

And they only want your name, email address and country to download!

Some Mr Gaylord Fooker  with email thisisso@fake.com  from Zimbabwe just downloaded it.

Know him well!!

Reply #27
1. Some people say --alt-preset insane is the best quality you can get from MP3 format (at least for LAME 3.92). Other people say extreme is better because of its intelligence during coding simple and harder parts of a song (e.g. extreme is better than insane in passing on the stereo panorama). What is the truth?!

Extreme should never be better than insane.

2. Is there any official place where developers classify, in order of their quality, the LATEST, TESTED and STABLE switches (presets) for command  line? It is very confusing to me to see different developers recommending their own switches and to choose between them… Which is best!?

No.. and this is one of the most hotly contested issues lately.  There is no framework or structure for anything like this in place from the official developers, and it doesn't seem as if there is a lot of motivation for it either.  HA provides recommended command line switches and recommended compiles though.  These have been very extensively tested and are surely your best bet.  They are not "official" recommendations though from the actual LAME development team.  I doubt you'll see something like this anytime soon (if ever) though because it does not appear to be a focus of the LAME development ideaology.  If this is the type of thing you're really after in an encoder, I suggest looking at something like MPC if you aren't tied to the MP3 format.

3. These days I understood LAME 3.93 have been released. Is it safe to use it, or should I wait for further tuning? Or is the lame3.90.2 better?

No.  3.93 has had some quality problems due to a lack of proper testing before release.  The best compile to use is 3.90.2 (which is an unofficial compile, btw).

Reply #28
Thanks a lot to all for helping me with my hesitation !
But is the v3.90.2 better even then v3.92 (that I have and is marked as stable) ?  Because I can't find a link to it anymore !

Tks, George

Reply #29
It's not necessarily that much "better", but it is tested properly, so you can be certain the alt-presets work the way they should.

There's a link here (read the sticky threads! ).