Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Questions from a newbie (I did search first!) (Read 2310 times) previous topic - next topic

Questions from a newbie (I did search first!)

Hey everyone!

I'm new to foobar and I wanted to know a few things so I'll get right to it:

1. I'm having trouble getting ANY skins to work in foobar2000 (I'm running 1.1.8 v6) I've mainly been trying to use a skin which makes the interface a little more like iTunes (which is what I switched from) but even when I follow the instructions for this one to the letter: (http://www.winmatrix.com/forums/index.php?/topic/23052-itunes-skin-for-foobar2000/) it still doesn't work. I'm not sure if there's something I'm missing or if it's just plain incompatible; either way some advice/information would be appreciated.

2. Is there a way to automatically add album artwork? All of my songs (about 1400 total) had artwork connected to them but now that I've switched over to foobar a lot of the artwork is missing. I don't really want to go through every song/album individually and put new artwork on it.

3. Is there a simple editor in foobar for cropping songs at the beginning or end or will I have to use Audacity for that?

4. Is there a way in foobar where I make a playlist and it makes a corresponding folder in windows or is that something that I'll have to do manually?

You might ask why I don't stick with iTunes if I want a lot of these features but it's because iTunes has now deleted (just from it's UI, not from windows explorer, thanks god) my music library, how it was stored and edited three times now and I'm getting sick of it.

Sorry for the newbie questions guys. If you need anything made clearer please ask.

Thanks!

P.S. These seemed like general questions as opposed to tech support stuff so I posted it here. If it's the wrong forum I'm sorry and please move it

Reply #1
1. That "skin" is probably incompatible with the latest version of foobar. I'd suggest just using the default interface with the facets plugin, using the scratchbox it should be pretty easy to get something similar looking to itunes setup.

2. Did the files have artwork embedded or is it as files? if the former it should just work, if the later you might need to setup the name for the artwork in preferences.

3. No.

4. I don't understand why on earth you'd want to do that. What are you trying to achieve?

Reply #2
1) I don't think copying the iTunes interface will give you the best experience, play around with the layout editing mode to choose a configuration you like. You can get a lot of the functionality of iTunes with components such as facets, a search for iTunes should provide lots of results for this.

2) Can you elaborate on how it is missing? If the artwork is present in the location of the files, it is possible to change where foobar looks for it. If iTunes kept them in some private database, Album Art Downloader could be helpful.

3) Is this to remove silence? If so you don't need to edit the files, just enable the skip silence DSP.

4) I'm not sure what you mean by this.