Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Is there any reason to do a secure rip when AccurateRip exists (Read 1877 times) previous topic - next topic

Is there any reason to do a secure rip when AccurateRip exists

I'm using XLD on my Mac to rip CDs.  I ripping set to use XLD Secure Ripper.

But now I am wondering.  Is there any reason I can't just use burst mode.  If the rip after burst mode passes AccurateRip verification, doesn't that mean I have a good rip?

Re: Is there any reason to do a secure rip when AccurateRip exists

Reply #1
If the confidence is at least 3, then no, burst is enough.
Error 404; signature server not available.

Reply #2
dBpoweramp, from the creator of AccurateRip, does burst first - and if then it is verified with AccurateRip, that is it. Sensible.

I can remember I once wanted it to do different, but I'm not sure if it were even an issue: I once re-ripped on a different computer (but same drive), and wanted to avoid verifying against "myself-only". Those were cases where my submission was the only one on record.

Oh, and there is a chance that burst & verify might let through some defective pressings where error detection would have come up with red flags - but if so: what is then a "correct rip"?

Reply #3
AccurateRip is as secure as it gets, so no, there's no need for secure rip, whatever software you're using.
Codec enthusiast!

Reply #4
Secure ripping REALLY puts a strain your drive.  I just killed a cheap external drive and I think secure ripping may be the issue.  So, if I can burst rip, that would help remove a lot of strain on the drive.

Reply #5
Secure ripping REALLY puts a strain your drive.  I just killed a cheap external drive and I think secure ripping may be the issue.  So, if I can burst rip, that would help remove a lot of strain on the drive.
Yeah that too of course, so AccurateRip is obviously the preferred method. As long as it checks and verifies with the other rips available in the database, it's a correct reading, and you don't need to destroy your CD-ROM drive just to be sure it's a correct rip.
Codec enthusiast!