Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: CDEX’s Windows port of cdparanoia: possible to use it outside of CDEX? (Read 5661 times) previous topic - next topic

CDEX’s Windows port of cdparanoia: possible to use it outside of CDEX?

I was thinking of writing my own ripper/encoder frontend (mostly as a research project to improve my programming skills) and I was wondering if there is any way to re-use the Windows port of cdparanoia that
is the basis of the latest versions of CDEX.

I.e. anyone familiar with CDEX code can maybe tell me whether this is a stand-alone DLL or maybe a set of classes that could be re-used in  a different project?

thanks in advance...

Reply #1
Answered my own question: CDRip.dll

...sorry for wasting bandwidth here...

Reply #2
Answered my own question: CDRip.dll

...sorry for wasting bandwidth here...

Checking through the CDex source should help too.

Reply #3
Just a note, if you are using a port of cdparanoia for windows, if a cd drive caches, it will be of no more use than any other burst mode ripper and so there may be others that are easier to use.

This is due to the fact that cdparanoia doesn't account for a drive cache, so it reads, re-reads from the cache and reports no error!!! I have personally tested this and have found that even on a terrrible cd, EAC struggled for ages in secure (2 hours and then failed), but cdex and cdparanoia reported no error! the result was unusable!!

Of course, if your drive does not cache, then it's great. If it does, you can still use no paranoia because it's not worth anything anyway!

These are just a few suggestions and opinions of mine, please nobody slate me! I would really love to use cdparanoia, especially when i am under Linux. I would then have no need for EAC.

Cheers,

Kristian

Reply #4
Has anyone ever done some comparison CDex vs. cdparanoia in linux? If you use cdparanoia from bash, you get quite thorough report of errors, IMHO much better than with CDex. I'd say that CDex just counts the bigger and very obvious errors cdparanoia reports. According to http://xiph.org/paranoia/faq.html#progbar the report could contain much more info than CDex displays.

However, if you're right about that cache stuff, cdparanoia undoubtly has a major weakness, although it is much better than any other ripper I tried except EAC. But I don't like EAC because it stresses the drive (and my patience  )  too much.

Reply #5
Does cdparanoia in linux encode to mpc, log? I may be using it soon with my xbox.

Reply #6
Does cdparanoia in linux encode to mpc

Uhh, you encode to mpc, not a ripper.  A ripper rips CD->wav.  An encoder encodes wav->xx, and you can use whatever encoder you wish, and whatever method to do so you wish.  Under Linux you may wish to use grip, a front-end to cdparanoia, which supports encoding to whatever command line you choose to type in (of which mppenc can certainly be one).

Reply #7
Does cdparanoia in linux encode to mpc

Uhh, you encode to mpc, not a ripper.  A ripper rips CD->wav.  An encoder encodes wav->xx, and you can use whatever encoder you wish, and whatever method to do so you wish.  Under Linux you may wish to use grip, a front-end to cdparanoia, which supports encoding to whatever command line you choose to type in (of which mppenc can certainly be one).

abcde is a console based 'frontend' to cdparanoia and I found it fantastic. Take a look - it may be more suitable for the xbox.

Reply #8
Uhh, you encode to mpc, not a ripper. A ripper rips CD->wav. An encoder encodes wav->xx

What I was saying was, are there any frontends for it that support rip, encode & log like EAC does.

abcde is a console based 'frontend' to cdparanoia and I found it fantastic. Take a look - it may be more suitable for the xbox.

Thanx, I'll try it.

Reply #9
Is this possible to build a CDparanoia.exe binary ?