Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: WMA CLI Encoder (Read 4471 times) previous topic - next topic

WMA CLI Encoder

Let me explain why I want to use WMA before you guys beat me up.

I've started running agian and my Rio PSX 100 doesn't do so well at skip-protection when running. I was thinkign about buying a solid state player, but at the last minute I remember my OLD Lyra 1 RD2204A was out in the garage. The I remember I had a 64MB CF sitting around that I could use. PERFECT.

Well I thought it would work out, but then I realized how stupid RCA was. I forgot the Lyra does not play MP3's directly but instead use Music Match to convert the files to an encrypted MPX format. BAH!!!!! And you had to use their Serial CF Reader/Writer. BAH!!!!!!

Did a bit more research and found out that the WMA support for the player will allow you to copy WMA's straight to the CF without any problems. Hence, the reason why I'm trying to encode to WMA from within Foobar2000. So please, don't kill me. I'm doing this because I don't want to buy a new portable player until we get HE-AAC support from a manufacturer.

Now, on to the question. I've setup the CLI encoder with the following options:
Code: [Select]
Encoder: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs
Extension: WMA
Parameters: -input %s -output %d -a_mode 2 -a_setting Q75_44_2

I'm trying to transcode from a single FLAC/CUE combo to a single WMA for my portable. When I select Convert, Foobar2000 will dump the wav file to disk and launch CScript.exe to execute the VBS, but it just hangs there. The encoding never happens and I have to kill the CScript window and I get the following from Foobar2000:
Code: [Select]
INFO (foo_clienc) : CLI encoder: C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs
INFO (foo_clienc) : Source file: file://C:\Working\CD-Archive\OST - Spawn.cue
INFO (foo_clienc) : Destination file: file://C:\Working\CD-Archive\03.Satan.wma
ERROR (foo_clienc) : Encoding failed

This is with Foobar2000 .7 Final and WM9 codecs and tools installed.

Anyone else gotten this to work or dare try??? I know how much WMA is hated, so I understand if you guys laugh/flame/deny help.

Thanks in advance!

WMA CLI Encoder

Reply #1
Well, my temporary solution is to just output the FLAC to WAV again from Foobar2000. Then I can use dbPowerAmp MC to encode the WAV to WMA. This just requires more disk space beause I have to convert multiple tracks to WAV first and then encode. Would be much easier if the encoder worked correctly from within Foobar and I didn't need another outside app to encode.

WMA CLI Encoder

Reply #2
Try this:
-input "%s" -output "%d" -a_mode 2 -a_setting Q75_44_2

It might work.

WMA CLI Encoder

Reply #3
Anyone else gotten this to work or dare try??? I know how much WMA is hated, so I understand if you guys laugh/flame/deny help.

Works fine here. When it hangs, open console and try command line cscript.exe "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs" -input "C:\Working\CD-Archive\03.Satan.wma.fb2k.tmp.wav" -output "C:\Working\CD-Archive\03.Satan.wma" -a_mode 2 -a_setting Q75_44_2 to see that WMA encoder itself works there. I don't really know what could be the problem though, it seems all my components are crappy.

WMA CLI Encoder

Reply #4
Works fine here. When it hangs, open console and try command line cscript.exe "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Components\Encoder\WMCmd.vbs" -input "C:\Working\CD-Archive\03.Satan.wma.fb2k.tmp.wav" -output "C:\Working\CD-Archive\03.Satan.wma" -a_mode 2 -a_setting Q75_44_2 to see that WMA encoder itself works there. I don't really know what could be the problem though, it seems all my components are crappy.

Already ran the command from the command prompt, forgot to say that in my original post. It encodes fine and I see the progress bar working. File is created.

I'll play with it a little more tonight when I get home and I'll try using "'s around the source and destination paths but I have feeling those are ok.

Case, you components aren't crap.....far from. I'm guessing it's how picky the WMA encoder is, not your CLI disk writer.

WMA CLI Encoder

Reply #5
Did it work?

WMA CLI Encoder

Reply #6
Nope

I tried using "'s around the %s and %d and got an error. I don't have everything setup here at work, so I cannot remember the error message off hand.

Hmmm maybe I should try here at work and see if it's something on my home box. I'm about due for a reinstall anyway.

If I find anything further, I will post my results. Let me know if anyone else runs into this problem.

WMA CLI Encoder

Reply #7
Quick update,

I finally got a chance to take 15 minutes and try the WMA transcoding on my work machine with foobar 0.7.1 and it worked great.

So it's not crappy coding as Case wants to say  , it's just a crufted XP install I have at home. Been meaning to reload the past couple of weeks, just haven't had time. Need to repartition the drives and slap the new 250gb in there.

Thanks for taking the time to help me verify Case, much appreciated. And keep up the great work on the components. One of these days I'll grab the SDK and try a few, but it's that whole "free time" thing I don't seem to have.

WMA CLI Encoder

Reply #8
I cant get it to work on my computer.  I have window 2000!

I get some error each time I try to convert to wma