Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Multiple Disk CD's (Read 1390 times) previous topic - next topic

Multiple Disk CD's

Recently lost my old Foobar2000 layout, upgraded to V1.6.5., corrected some album cover issues, then realized I have another issue.

How can I fix this. Foobar mixes tracks for multiple disk cd’s in the playback section. For example, tracks are listed in this order; 2.01, 1.01,2.02,1.02,2.03,1.03, etc., instead of 1.01,1.02,1.02, 1.04, etc. with separate group/list for the 2nd CD.

Thanks you.

Re: Multiple Disk CD's

Reply #1
Recently lost my old Foobar2000 layout, upgraded to V1.6.5., corrected some album cover issues, then realized I have another issue.

How can I fix this. Foobar mixes tracks for multiple disk cd’s in the playback section. For example, playback tracks from the two or more cd's are mixed together like this; 2.01, 1.01,2.02,1.02,2.03,1.03, etc., instead of 1.01,1.02,1.03,1.04, etc. with a separate list for the 2nd CD.

Thanks in advance.

Reply #2
Click on top of that column?

If you want it lexicographically sorted, you should click on the columns in reverse order of what you want.
For example, if you want it sorted by
album artist - year [- album, if there are two albums per year] - discnumber&tracknumber
then click
first on the "Track no" column, then on album, then on Date, then on album artist.

Reply #3
For default sorting, it depends on which library viewer you are using. See the second half of this post for an overview. It could also depend on view pattern, or tags, or filenames.

(I really should make a wiki page for sorting, it is by far the most frequently asked question here and on reddit...)

Reply #4
Thank you for your reply. This will have to wait until I have a day to spend on it because I’m not the most savvy at setting up Foobar.

I never had this problem until I upgraded Foobar2000 to the current release, however I was having some other issues with album art and may have inadvertently changed a setting. I hadn’t twiddled with this program for years since it was solid and did everything I wanted it to, but now this.

Here’s an example of what I’m talking about. A three (3) disk set appears like this in the playlist track order:

etc.

Reply #5
This is entirely dependent on your sorting order. If your files are not:

1) Sorted into different alphabetically named directories per disc.
OR
2) Named with the disc number before the track number.

Then you need to enable a sorting order for either incoming files (shell integration) or media library viewer (Media Library -> Album List, etc), that specifies the %discnumber% tag between the %album% and %tracknumber% tags.

I *think* the Default UI's Tracknumber column, by virtue of including the disc number in the display, also sorts by disc number. You'll have to amend your Columns UI configuration if it doesn't already include this.

Reply #6
Aha! Beginning to see the problem may be twofold; my PC’s Music files, and/or a UI element.

By ‘files’ you mean my PC’s Music files, correct? The vast majority of those files are CD’s converted to FLAC files using dBpoweramp CD Ripper. There are also about 50-60 music files which are MP3’s downloaded from YouTube with cover art added. During original CD ripping I recall there were occasional issues with compilations for example, but I can’t remember what they were, or how I resolved them. There were some album cover art issues as well but I usually downloaded the proper artwork and inserted in the ID Tag area of Properties.

When I recently lost my original Foobar layout I reloaded the updated version of Foobar2000,  v1.6.5, but forgot which display components I originally used and how I set it up many years ago, so this time I followed a YouTube video using various UI elements in scratchbox to create a home screen. For this DUI was used, not Columns UI.

Today, after futzing around with Foobar, I discovered that I had previously used simple layout from Quick Appearance Setup; Visualization/Cover Art/Tabs. Now that I have changed back to this layout Foobar reads all my PC’s Music files (disk numbers and tracks) correctly. It also locates the MP3’s with cover art correctly.

I notice that the custom layout I tried from YouTube used two unique elements not found in the Quick Appearance Setup; Facets, and Playlist Tabs. Thus I’m thinking that one of these elements was the cause of the CD and Track numbers being jumbled, because today after having changed everything back to the original Quick Appearance Setup most everything reads fine again.

Some examples of the problems I ran into with the YouTube custom setup were:

-In the below example the two disks of Die Schöpfung [Gardiner] are listed in this order: 
   Franz Joseph Haydn
      Die Schopfung [Gardiner]
         Tracks 1-13 (all with same contributing artists)

*There is nothing in the PC Music file to denote Disk 1, or Disk 2. My Music file lists the twin tracks together in numerical sequence; 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4,5,5,etc., which is deceiving because it transposes some of those twin tracks putting the second before the first, and Foobar does the same, only looks like this; 1.01, 2.01, 2.02, 1.02, 2.03, 1.03, 1.04, 2.04, etc.

-This CD looks the same as the above in my Music files, yet Foobar lists the tracks differently:   
   David Wilcocks
      Bach: Cantata 147; 6 Motet; Chorales & chorale preludes for Advent & Christmas
         Tracks for both CD’s combined sequentially: 1,1,2,2,3,3,4,4, etc. (on Music file)
                                                       1.01, 2.01, 1.02, 2.02, 3.01, 3.02, etc.(on Foobar)
                                                      (all with same contributing artists)
*There is nothing in the PC Music file to denote two separate disks. The tracks are run together in numeric sequence both in Music file, and in Foobar2000.

-The two disks of Led Zeppelin/Mothership are shown/listed properly in both Music and Foobar:
   Led Zeppelin
      Mothership, Disk 1
         Track list 1-13 (all with same contributing artists)
      Mothership, Disk 2
         Track list 1-11 (all with same contributing artists)

*The multiple CD tracks of Led Zeppelin/Mothership above read just fine and are shown in proper sequence in both Foobar Playlist and PC Music file.

-The single CD;  Schumann: The Songs of Robert Schumann, Vol. 06 – McGreevy, Doufexis, Thompson & Loges, is listed in this order:
   Schumann The Songs of Vol6
      Track list 1-31 (many with various contributing artists)

*Here Foobar2000 lists the tracks with different contributing artists randomly in about 12 separate albums. When viewed directly in my PC Music file, all 31 tracks appear in proper order.

Things also get messed up in Music files under the heading, Various. These are single CD albums where the Album Title remains constant but the Name, Title, and Contributing Artists are all different.
Various Artists
   Name         Track#   Title   Contributing artists   Album
   01 Maria Callas            (all various artists)   All same album name
   02 Renata Tebaldi
   etc.

*Most of these Various artist CD’s don’t even show up in Foobar2000 playlist.

- None of the MP3’s show up in the Foobar Playlist.

I’m sure some of this may make sense to you, but for now I’m back to normal. I need to spend more time on this.

Thank you.