Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Recording WAV files w/EAC and clipping (Read 1882 times) previous topic - next topic

Recording WAV files w/EAC and clipping

I'm trying to figure out where I should set the recording volume on EAC when recording a wav file. When is it considered clipping, when the two bars go pass  the 0 dB? Which peek level is best recommended  so there is no clipping but loud enough for good qaulity. Also, is there a better program for recording wavs(recording...not ripping) or is EAC the most recommended for this?

-Darin

:alien:
Cowon Iaudio X5 30 gig. It rocks!

Recording WAV files w/EAC and clipping

Reply #1
>>>'When is it considered clipping, when the two bars go pass the 0 dB?'<<<

technically yes, when you exceed the maximum permitted level the waveform gets truncated and harsh distortion will be added to the signal. clipping can be avoided by having plenty of headroom and being careful with dynamics compression

>>>'Which peek level is best recommended so there is no clipping but loud enough for good qaulity.'<<<

if you are recording a 16-bit wave, i recommend getting the peak amplitude as closely as possible to 0 dB to get maximum resolution. you don't necessarily have to hit 0 dB all the time. just make sure your peaks are somewhere between -5 and -1 dB (if possible). if the signal goes over 0 dB often, try reducing your input levels

if you have a high quality 24-bit soundcard, then you can record wave files in 24-bit resolution and leave more headroom

>>>'Also, is there a better program for recording wavs'<<<

there are other programs that can do this. most sound editors, like sound forge, samplitude, cooledit, wavelab, are capable of recording
Be healthy, be kind, grow rich and prosper