Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Well now that Lame 3.93 has been released... (Read 6085 times) previous topic - next topic

Well now that Lame 3.93 has been released...

I keep hearing bad things about lame 3.93 and the --alt-presets , now that it's released should I upgrade from 3.92? I encode using --alt-preset cbr 192 . Will using lame 3.93 downgrade the quality at all?

Thx for the replies. 

Reply #1
Well, I can't say for sure, but I don't think cbr should be any lower quality than before.
It's just that the quality has not been checked. I tried --alt-preset fast standard a little bit, and in some cases the quality was actually higher than before, although the bitrate is also clearly higher.
Anyway, it has not been troughly tested.

Dibrom has some interesting ideas for the future for mp3.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #2
"Dibrom has some interesting ideas for the future for mp3."

Like what? 

Reply #3
I see that --alt-preset medium is now an option. 3.93 encodes much faster than 3.92, I was used to .7x to .8x speed now it hums along at 1.1 to 1.2x.

Reply #4
"Dibrom has some interesting ideas for the future for mp3."

Like what?  

Too early to tell.. Maybe he will tell soon, if there's a possibility for the plans to happen.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #5
I see that --alt-preset medium is now an option. 3.93 encodes much faster than 3.92, I was used to .7x to .8x speed now it hums along at 1.1 to 1.2x.

Just for the record, --alt-preset medium is not something that I created (not to say that it's necessarily bad.. it is also at least based very largely on aps).  I haven't tested it on any of the normal test samples or anything that.  I believe this is Gabriels creation, and I don't know anything about how he does his testing (ie.  What samples he uses, does he do double blind tests, does he get feedback from other people, etc.).

Just want to say that, because I think there's going to be some confusion from people about this.

Reply #6
What kinds of changes can we expect between 3.93 & 3.94?  With all the hub-ub going on over these two releases it isn't quite clear what's going into 3.94 that isn't in 3.93.

-Jeff

Reply #7
What kinds of changes can we expect between 3.93 & 3.94?  With all the hub-ub going on over these two releases it isn't quite clear what's going into 3.94 that isn't in 3.93.

-Jeff

I have no idea.

Reply #8
What kinds of changes can we expect between 3.93 & 3.94?  With all the hub-ub going on over these two releases it isn't quite clear what's going into 3.94 that isn't in 3.93.

-Jeff

Well.. you can get somekind of idea if you check this and see what was done for Tak's branch and what was done for the main branch:
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs...l.c?sortby=date
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs...e.c?sortby=date
http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs...e.c?sortby=date

Of course not everything is necessarely going for 3.94..
Juha Laaksonheimo