Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: ReplayGain scanner spewing out garbage (Read 3055 times) previous topic - next topic

ReplayGain scanner spewing out garbage

Often, foobar2000's ReplayGain scanner stops before reaching the end of a file (position varies) and reports completely nonsensical data.

The interesting parts:

• Successive scans of the same file return different results.
  • The errors are not completely random. I've been scanning and rescanning ~20 songs, and receiving either the correct data, or (approximately) +64 dB gain, or peak in the range of 1750-1900.
  • The same garbage is displayed for all scanned files and does not depend on encoding settings. (See "Today's music" below.)

Today's music:

• 205 kbps 44100 Hz MP3 VBR V9, 11 songs
  • 320 kbps 48000 Hz MP3 CBR, 12 songs
  • 128 kbps 44100 Hz AAC LC, one song

All display the same behavior.

I'm using foobar2000 v1.1.5, but this has persisted since at least v1.0. Complete purge of foobar2000 application and its user config directories did not help. No additional components are installed. The OS is Windows XP SP3 x86. If the CPU matters, it's an AMD Athlon 64.

Reply #1
try running LINX on you system and see if it is stable.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #2
try running LINX on you system and see if it is stable.

Thanks for the suggestion. I suppose "Residual: 1.#QNAN0e+000" is not okay? :) That was the result of 17 out of 20 runs the first time I tried.

The second and further times, everything passed fine.

(I wonder if it could have anything to do with the coLinux virtual machine, which was running the first time I ran LINX, and stopped the second time. Might be just a coincidence, though, as I re-started it later and yet LINX kept working.)

Reply #3
yeah, any error reported in Linx is bad.

what sort of temps are you seeing when you run the benchmark?

CoreTemp is a good tool to check.
Who are you and how did you get in here ?
I'm a locksmith, I'm a locksmith.

Reply #5
I don't know if you're overclocking, but a solid aftermarket fan is always a good investment.

I ran LinX for 5 quick tests on a Athlon 5050e, and my temp stabilized at 47°. Cold boot  is 30°.