Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Battery power use of WMA vs. WMA with DRM vs. MP3 (Read 4237 times) previous topic - next topic

Battery power use of WMA vs. WMA with DRM vs. MP3

Hi, I have heard that WMA uses more battery power in MP3 players (I have a Sony E465) and I was wondering does that only apply to DRM WMAs? or does 'regular' WMA files use as much power? or more power than Mp3?

Thanks in advance

Reply #2
It varies from device to device. You have to test your device to know which is more efficient.

Reply #3
Hi, I have heard that WMA uses more battery power in MP3 players (I have a Sony E465) and I was wondering does that only apply to DRM WMAs? or does 'regular' WMA files use as much power? or more power than Mp3?

Power used often depends on the bit rate.  IF you believe M$oft ads, you will use half the bit rate in WMA for equivalent quality.  Big "if."

As Saratoga said, best way is to try it.  play a song on repeat from full charge to dry with each format.  If your player has a hard drive then consider a longer playlist so disk caching won't just keep the drive from spinning up on the repeats.

To give you an idea of variability there are some benchmarks on rockbox.org, but I'm SURE no DRM format is included.