Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Can A Pc Cd-r Emulate A Cd Player? (Read 5559 times) previous topic - next topic

Can A Pc Cd-r Emulate A Cd Player?

Sometimes I have too much imagination.  I'm not trying to be a wise guy but I am curious...
All the talk about copy protection on audio CDs got me to wondering.  Assuming they are truly copy proof and they play fine in an audio CD player.  What if someone wants to transfer their leagally purchased mucic to a portable MP3 player?

Can an app be developed that will make a PCs CD drive emulate a regular CD player?  If it can it should provide a full fidelity digital audio stream just like a CD player outputs to the high priced stereo amplifier. This music could be captured and written to disk as a wave file that can be compressed afterwards.  Poof! No more copy protection. 

A perfect copy, as a lot of you guys are making now would be great but a very high quality, listenable copy for the non-purist who just likes his music would be great too.
Richard

Reply #1
I don't think this is the answer you were looking for but...

I have not had to do it yet but I was told to use my portable cd player and the line-in on my sound card to record the music coming in.  The resulting wave files have been transformed (digital -> analog -> digital) but from some that have done it - it still sounds very good.  You may also want to use a wave cleaner.  Now you have all the songs from the cd saved as wave files on your computer.  Burn the disc and your album will be copy protection free. 

It depends on how particular you are about your music...this may not be an  acceptable alternative but it will work

Reply #2
I don't think this is the answer you were looking for but...

I have not had to do it yet but I was told to use my portable cd player and the line-in on my sound card to record the music coming in.  The resulting wave files have been transformed (digital -> analog -> digital) but from some that have done it - it still sounds very good.  You may also want to use a wave cleaner.  Now you have all the songs from the cd saved as wave files on your computer.  Burn the disc and your album will be copy protection free. 

It depends on how particular you are about your music...this may not be an  acceptable alternative but it will work

In the short term, this would degrade sound quality a bit (although I don't know how many could ABX the difference, particularly if a good sound card is used).  In the long term, it might actually mean *better* SQ, since the "copy protection" used on CD's can degrade the error detection/correction once the original CD has been scratched.

Reply #3
I read that idea in another forum - can't remember where though I read alot - and it seemed a "reasonable" way to get the music off the disc.  I would do it to put it on a portable and would most likely encode with 96 or 112 so I believe it would work.

Like I said I have not done it - just put in the back of my mind if I run across a disc that I couldn't manipulate any other way to get the music off.

Reply #4
fewtch >>In the short term, this would degrade sound quality a bit (although I don't know how many could ABX the difference, particularly if a good sound card is used).

You read my mind on that one. You will ALWAYS be able to do Line-In recording. I never worried that much about copy protection for exactly that reason. Ripping from a CD is much easier, though.

>>don't know how many could ABX the difference

My guess?  None (using the "good equipment" guidelines)

Xenno
No one can be told what Ogg Vorbis is...you have to hear it for yourself
- Morpheus

Reply #5
No program can emulate a CD player, the problem lies into the hardware. CD ROM drives can read CD ROMs, and copy protected CDs take advantage of it : they are indeed partially CD ROMs, but recognized as audio in hifi players.

I've never understood why people keep using the analog output for their copies while there is a digital one just next to it 

>>don't know how many could ABX the difference

My guess?  None (using the "good equipment" guidelines)

I take the challenge ! Though it might be difficult because I have a good Yamaha hifi CD Player worth 450 €. But the output of the computer is better : digital out towards a Sony DTC 55ES, therfore the Yamaha sound should be audible.

Reply #6
It has been often said that it is very easy to copy those protected audio CDs. I myself have copyied 2 (using stickers).

Reply #7
The majority of CD/CDR's drives today doesnt carry the play button
anymore.
Just a few manufacturers still leaving the play button wich enables
playing audio cds without any software running.
What about these drives? Are they better? Does the play function
built in makes any difference in case of copy-protected disks?
Do those drives have a different way to read audio cds??
I'm curious...
Any help?

LIF
"Jazz washes away the dust of everyday life" (Art Blakey)

Reply #8
They're just the same, the play button is disabled when a CD ROM is inserted. Certainly the same if it is an unsupported audio CD.

Reply #9
 What we should do is create a "black list" of copy-protected audio CDs to spread the word to avoid purchasing 'em.
I've heard some protections were so aggressive that literally crapped the player if they were read in a computer.
That MUST be ILLEGAL.
NO ONE has right to "protect their copyright" by creating such a protection that makes the disc unreadable by a computer or even kill the player, as no one has right to force us to use that disc only on a hi-fi player. What do they think they are?
If we cannot do perfect, digital & CRC identical copies of the disc, then don't buy it.
Only because they simply think that computers are only piracy & P2P.

Reply #10
In theory it would be possible to alter the firmware of the CDRom/CDRW drive to read protected audio CDs in the same way as a stand alone audio CD player does, but I doubt that the manufacturers would do this.
As an alternative you can always copy the audio using a stand alone CD player and connect it to your soundcard, either digital or analog.

Reply #11
What we should do is create a "black list" of copy-protected audio CDs to spread the word to avoid purchasing 'em.

It is already done : http://fatchucks.com/z3.cd.html

Reading protected audio CDs@ CD Freaks

Sound and Vision mag article about copy protections

SPDIF recording of protected audio CDs@EAC ML (update : the Creative Audigy 2 might be ale to slave itself to the digital input).

Key2audio tested on 27 drives

Samsung, Pioneer and Teac vs Cactus datashield 200 audio protection@EAC

Damaging hardware : reported on MacIntosh computers, I don't remember where I read it. Maybe in the Sound and Vision article.

Reply #13
is there anything wrong with using the optical line out on my cd player? i haven't tried the optical in on my soundcard yet though...

Reply #14
Damaging hardware : reported on MacIntosh computers, I don't remember where I read it. Maybe in the Sound and Vision article.

The Celine Dion CD released in the UK by Sony has caused major problems for Macs. We have heard of many reported problems with the new flat-screen iMacs, in which dealers had received machines to repair, only to find a Celine Dion CD inside and no other problems. With a Celine Dion CD inside, these Macs boot up to a grey screen, and will not respond, nor eject the CD. We have also heard about similar problems with a recent PowerMac G4 model. Apple have published a technical note on this issue. Note that Sony are still releasing new CDs in this format, so the Celine Dion CD is unlikely to be the end of the story.

sounds like some text from southpark, lmao, link to mac's technical note:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?ar...|156956970
PANIC: CPU 1: Cache Error (unrecoverable - dcache data) Eframe = 0x90000000208cf3b8
NOTICE - cpu 0 didn't dump TLB, may be hung

Reply #15
is there anything wrong with using the optical line out on my cd player?

If you can set the soundcard clock to "SPDIF input" (SPDIF recording of protected audio CDs@EAC ML) and record it, it's like extracting it.
If the soundcard can't, there can be a very slight loss of quality due to resampling/volume change/dither (SB live soundcard, for example).