Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Lagged playback problem (Read 1347 times) previous topic - next topic

Lagged playback problem

Hello. I'm using foobar for audio playback on live events. Everything was great for years, but now (well, around two years probably) I have a problem: when I start a track playback doesn't start immediately, there is a delay around 0.5-0.7 seconds. That NEVER happens if I start a new track while playing another or if there was another track playing some 20 seconds ago. But if there was no track playing for 30-60 seconds I almost always get this lag. It is very annoying, is there anything I can do about it?

I thought the problem is my laggy notebook, but with the new one (i5-8250, 8Gb RAM; I also tried i7-3610QM + 16Gb RAM) the problem is exactly the same. Switching between Win7 and Win10 makes almost no difference. It also doesn't matter if tracks are on HDD or SSD - lag is always the same. Different antiviruses and no antivirus at all also doesn't make any difference. No DSPs enabled, ReplayGain is disabled, buffer is 1000 msec (for crossfading).

Re: Lagged playback problem

Reply #1
foobar2000 by default doesn't cause any delays. Tweaking some settings like enabling full file buffering could cause slowdowns, especially if the tracks you play are huge.
Do you use the same sound card with both computers you have been testing with? Perhaps its drivers put the device to some power save state when it isn't used.

Reply #2
Do you use full file buffering?

Reply #3
My bet would have been on perhaps a new HDD that aggressively parks its head when unused (as I recall WD Greens park after like 8 seconds). But if you are sure it happens on your SSD too then it's something else.

Reply #4
Sorry for not answering for so long, had a very busy week =)

Buffer is set to 1000 msec, fade in is 0 msec, fade out is 1000 msec. Audio cards are different, built-in to be more specific: IDT High-Definition on old laptop, Conexant SmartAudio HD on new one. Actually I bought an external USB sound card yesterday and so far I didn't notice any lags with it. Could it be something with drivers or output detection? What bothers me is that this lag is ONLY in Foobar, any other audio or video player  I tried works fine.

Reply #5
Are you using WASAPI or ASIO?

And soundcard in exclusive mode?

Reply #6
Are you using WASAPI or ASIO?

And soundcard in exclusive mode?
Thanks for the hint. Output device was "Primary sound driver" (or something like that - my OS is in Russian, so I'm not sure this setting is called in English). I installed WASAPI output support plugin, so now otput device is "DS: Primary sound driver" and no lags so far!
I didn't select any of WASAPI modes because then fading options are unavailable and I really need them.

PS
The only downside now is that I didn't have to spend 800 bucks to buy a new laptop =)