Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3val 0.1.6 (a tool to validate and fix MP3 files) released. Now a GU (Read 22229 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3val 0.1.6 (a tool to validate and fix MP3 files) released. Now a GU

Hello!

I've released version 0.1.6 of MP3val (an open source tool to find corrupted MPEG audio files and to fix errors). New version finally introduces CRC checking.

Besides, Windows version of MP3val now includes a native Windows GUI frontend. It is at the moment in alpha stage.

For those who don't like Windows there is also a Python GTK-based GUI written by an independent developer. It can installed on Windows machine, too, but it is tricky.

MP3val core and both frontends are released under the terms of the GPL.

More information is available at the project homepage: http://mp3val.sourceforge.net

Just in case, the old discussion thread for MP3val is here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=41786

Sorry, the title of the post was truncated :-(

Sorry, the title was truncated. It shoud be "Now a GUI frontend is included". :-(

Reply #1
Cool, thanks for the update. Mp3val has in the past fixed some problematic files I had.

Reply #2
Cool, thanks for the update. Mp3val has in the past fixed some problematic files I had.

The same here! So thanks fur releasing and updating mp3val :-)

Reply #3
New versions have just been released: MP3val 0.1.7 and MP3val-frontend 0.1.1.

"MP3val proper" features some bugfixes and minor improvements, see changelog.

MP3val-frontend features significant GUI improvements (e.g., toolbar was added), as well as many minor fixes.

Reply #4
Thanks for this, it helped me spot a bunch of problematic MP3s in my collection.

I have one question, though: I noticed that apparently all files that were "fixed" with foobar 0.9.4.3 (Right-click --> Utils --> Fix VBR MP3 header) are marked with the error Wrong number of MPEG data bytes specified in Xing header. I am wondering if it's because of this bug or something else (perhaps a glitch in your tool?).

Regards.

Alessandro

Reply #5
I have one question, though: I noticed that apparently all files that were "fixed" with foobar 0.9.4.3 (Right-click --> Utils --> Fix VBR MP3 header) are marked with the error Wrong number of MPEG data bytes specified in Xing header. I am wondering if it's because of this bug or something else (perhaps a glitch in your tool?).

I looked into the problem. It looks like foobar doesn't take the first frame (with Xing header) into account when counting a total number of MPEG bytes. Althought it is sensible, it is not the only approach. LAME does the other way round (i.e. it counts the first frame) and so does MP3val.

I guess MP3val should accept both values as correct?

Reply #6
I guess MP3val should accept both values as correct?
I'm not in a position to give you an authoritative answer.

Perhaps yes, if both methods are considered correct, or you may want to notify Peter about it (I'd do that myself, but I'm sure you could voice your opinion with more proper wording ).

Anyway, thanks for your time.

Alessandro

Reply #7
Hi Ring0,

using the frontend GUI, I met with the fact that mp3val cannot open some files (that other analyzers can) and cannot go on yet it says the "processing thread is still active". How to make it at least skip and ignore the problematic file and let it go thru the directory and finish the procedure? In one case I have found that the problem was likely in the character in the filename (when I replaced original á for a, then the file was accepted and scanned). Please advise.

Regards,

crazyman

Reply #8

I decided to accept foobar's method (in fact, these values are used only for seeking, and such a small difference doesn't matter). This feature is already committed to CVS repository and will be included with the next release.

using the frontend GUI, I met with the fact that mp3val cannot open some files (that other analyzers can) and cannot go on yet it says the "processing thread is still active". How to make it at least skip and ignore the problematic file and let it go thru the directory and finish the procedure? In one case I have found that the problem was likely in the character in the filename (when I replaced original á for a, then the file was accepted and scanned). Please advise.

Yes, there is a problem with Unicode file names. I'll try to find a solution.

Reply #9
Hmm main.res seems to be missing from the source of the frontend archive?

Reply #10
Pretty quick; pretty slick.  Thanks!   
Nov schmoz kapop.

Reply #12
Is it possible to add unicode filename support?

Reply #13
Hello!

I've released version 0.1.6 of MP3val (an open source tool to find corrupted MPEG audio files and to fix errors). New version finally introduces CRC checking.

Besides, Windows version of MP3val now includes a native Windows GUI frontend. It is at the moment in alpha stage.

For those who don't like Windows there is also a Python GTK-based GUI written by an independent developer. It can installed on Windows machine, too, but it is tricky.

MP3val core and both frontends are released under the terms of the GPL.

More information is available at the project homepage: http://mp3val.sourceforge.net

Just in case, the old discussion thread for MP3val is here: http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=41786

Sorry, the title of the post was truncated :-(

Sorry, the title was truncated. It shoud be "Now a GUI frontend is included". :-(

Reply #14
Thanks for creating the software.

Is it safe to just let it loose on my mp3 collection in autofix mode?

Reply #15
Mp3val I just want to say is a GREAT program, no other program I have used has done such a good job of checking mp3 validation.

I don't think people realize how valuable a tool this is for checking their music library integrity.

I hope this project will live on for many years to come, it's a tool well needed!

Mp3val

Now I don't use it to do any repairs, I personally just use it to scan for problems.

I recommend to anyone that wants to maintain a good music library to check this tool out!

P.S. If you find it worthwhile please try and give feedback over at Sourceforge, or hunt down Alexey Kuznetsov or Eugen Tikhonov, and tell them how great it is, to keep it alive.

Reply #16
I notice that the latest 0.1.8 has not been announced here, but I hope that the authors still hang around - and my thanks go to them for mp3val.

One nitpick up for discussion... I wish that a wrong CRC in the first frame would be reported on its own separate line, at least when it's the only one causing the "WARNING: Wrong CRC in 1 frames". Reason for such a special treatment is that the first frame may take (harmless) liberties sometimes which others don't, see for example the (old) thread at http://www.mail-archive.com/mp3encoder@gee...e/msg03421.html. I think that a specific message like "INFO: Wrong CRC in the 1st frame" would be more descriptive.