Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What's the most commonly accepted definition of THD? (Read 26249 times) previous topic - next topic

What's the most commonly accepted definition of THD?

Reply #25
I thought of this thread recently when I came across an audio op amp with a spec of 0.00003% THD+noise. My first thought was that this must be a case of using %power instead of %voltage, but a closer examination showed that it really is 0.3 ppm THD+noise as voltage. It is also rated at 0.000009% (0.09 ppm) DC gain linearity error.

My next thought was, why would anyone need this kind of performance in an audio amplifier?

Reply #26
According to physical meaning THD should compare energy (intensity) of signals, not their amplitudes so the "power" definition of THD is more correct, I think. Though "amplitude" (RMS voltage) definition is conventionally agreed and commonly used in audio.
keeping audio clear together - soundexpert.org

Reply #27
According to physical meaning THD should compare energy (intensity) of signals, not their amplitudes so the "power" definition of THD is more correct, I think. Though "amplitude" (RMS voltage) definition is conventionally agreed and commonly used in audio.

It's not a question of "should" it's a question of how it's been defined.

You can argue that the definition is in fact kind of ridiculous (it is), that it's misnamed (it's really (S+N)/N) where N is all noise sources, including harmonic distortions that we would define by polynomial distortion products, or that it out to be power ratio, BUT

It is what it is.

And like SNR,when  you're working with audio, it's "mostly useless". So it goes.

Yes, yes, if the SNR is 120dB and the peak level is reasonable in terms of human audition, that's enough SNR, but that's not usually the case.
-----
J. D. (jj) Johnston