Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: linux user's forum? (Read 27587 times) previous topic - next topic

linux user's forum?

Reply #25
Tagging of some way could be nice somehow, but it would need a consequent tagging (probably of all topics) and a proper search for those tags.
I think that would be a good idea if completely reorganising the Forums but too much effort for what we want to do here.
I had that idea because of the topics that would fit in several categories.
I mean, there's sometimes just no need to open a new topic for a short sidequestion regarding another OS, but it would be nice to find those too, therefore the tagging-idea. (I hope you know what I mean, wrote it a bit complicated maybe..)

Well, my solution would be to simply open a subforum for linux/OSX together with maybe some title-tagging as suggested by pastoe, maybe even more concrete tags like the distro or the like, depends on how big the differences are.
If that gets too big it should still be possible to split it with relative ease.
If those topics get multi-OS over time I would leave them in the topic of the main question (Linux-specific question about whatever -> keep at linux).

Well, that's just what I think about that, I'd love to see a linux forum, however it may look like.

linux user's forum?

Reply #26
This may be a little off-topic, but I'm going to throw it out here:

For those users that are using Linux, what distro is the most friendly for setting up audio apps? I'm currently running Suse 10.1 and the cd auto-loader seems to make it difficult to use wine with windows apps easily. Half of the time, the cdrom device can't be found correctly.

Can I start a poll for this? (I couldn't see any buttons for creating a new poll.)

linux user's forum?

Reply #27
this thread of mine from a while back might be helpful to you...
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

linux user's forum?

Reply #28
The difficult thing is deciding if a problem should be posted in the [Linux] forum or in [General Audio] forum.

Heck, with the current - limited - number of forums, some people already have a hard time choosing the forum to post in.

linux user's forum?

Reply #29
IMHO, the Linux/BSD or *NIX subforum should be made first. Let's see after that if there's demand for a Win32/64 subforum. Just take one step at the time.

linux user's forum?

Reply #30
I vote for a *nix/OSX subforum too. I don't think there is a reason for two seperate ones, one for *nix and another for OSX. A single subforum should  probably do, just like it works with the doom9 forums.

linux user's forum?

Reply #31
as the op, is there some way i should make an official request to admin, or is the existance of this thread enough of a request?

linux user's forum?

Reply #32
We now have a new "Non-Windows Audio Discussion" forum (if anyone has a better name, please come forward). Have fun!

P.S. This is sort of a test. If all we see in that forum is spiderwebs, it will be removed again.

linux user's forum?

Reply #33
Thank you, CiTay!

About the name, I prefer sth like: (GNU/)Linux, BSD, OS X Audio -- if it describes the intended content adequately.

I don't think a negative name is a good idea in this case, but I suppose it doesn't really matter -- the name can be changed any time, if we come up with sth better.

Thanks again!

linux user's forum?

Reply #34
Thank you, CiTay!

About the name, I prefer sth like: (GNU/)Linux, BSD, OS X Audio -- if it describes the intended content adequately.

I don't think a negative name is a good idea in this case, but I suppose it doesn't really matter -- the name can be changed any time, if we come up with sth better.

Thanks again!

I totally agree.  the "negative name," as you call it, isn't ideal...  something alittle more specific; inclusive, rather than exclusive would probably sound more appealing and friendly, not to mention it would more likely catch the eye of users of the named systems.

but regardless, i think in the big picture, i don't care much.  people that are more opinionated on the title issue can decide.  i'm just happy we have our own forum now!    Thank you CiTay!

linux user's forum?

Reply #35
I'm sorry you guys, but it hasn't quite worked out. The section stayed pretty empty (even though some older topics were moved there). I'm afraid it's not the time for such a forum yet. Please post back in General Audio or wherever you see fit.

P.S. Especially sorry @ VCSkier. Had i seen your enthusiasm for the section before i went about removing it... Keep your head up 

linux user's forum?

Reply #36
There were a number of linux (and OS X, I guess) related topics that got posted in other subforums after this was introduced. Still, you gave it a try so I'm not going to keep complaining eh?

linux user's forum?

Reply #37
Ugh, it may have been empty but it was very useful.
err... i'm not using windows any more ;)

linux user's forum?

Reply #38
I would have to agree, forums don't neccesarily have to be full.Also keep in mind (linux) people didn't get a chance to find hydrogenaudio as a forum for their needs too.

linux user's forum?

Reply #39
Wow.  I was out of town for the weekend.  Talk about some depressing news to come back to.   

I agree very strongly with ...Just Elliott and Madman2003.  http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showforum=70 had quickly become my most visited website, and I had suspected that, given time, it's traffic would have grown hugely.  Needless to say, I'm very disappointed.

Ultimately, though, I trust CiTay in his decision.  He obviously has more experience with the forums than I do, and a better idea of what is best for Hydrogenaudio as a whole, in the long run.  While my opinions disagree, I respect his experience.

I would be curious though, to hear if there are any more details about the decision, or considerations that went into it, or even if it was possibly still up for more discussion, but I guess that is just me being overly hopeful...  Oh well.  Life goes on.  The last thing I want is to be an annoyance or a complainer.

linux user's forum?

Reply #40
No! I didn't even notice that such forum section existed. Why there was so hurry to remove it? I'm not posting in HA very frequently and General Audio section is so confusing with all those mixed topics that I almost never read it unless I accidentally pick a topic from HA RSS feed which is there.

linux user's forum?

Reply #41
Ugh! I came here too late  Please get the linux forum up again  ?

linux user's forum?

Reply #42
I just recognised that it is gone. Too bad. Guess I should have bothered you guys earlier with my linux audio questions, but it wasn't and is not the time yet as I have to get a proper soundcard first and have to make a clean linux install too.

It may have been full enough if I would have plastered it with all my questions back then

linux user's forum?

Reply #43
I didn't even know there had been a Linux specific forum. Oh well, hope it's back someday. I only use GNU/Linux (Debian, Mandriva, Ubuntu...), at home and at work.

linux user's forum?

Reply #44
Too bad. I switched in the beginning of September and such a category could help me immensely. Now I'm stuck on the local Ubuntu forums, where there are not so many experienced audio enthusiasts and general English speaking Ubuntu forum where it is so easy that your thread too quickly disappears from the view of those who would help.
Sorry for my poor English, I'm trying to get better... ;)
"The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled, was convincing the world he didn't exist."

linux user's forum?

Reply #45
One more vote for the Linux forum. In general, the majority of users use Windows, it's a general sense that the first OS assumed to be used on HA is Windows whatever is the subforum.

A Linux subforum would be great. I myself found searching many times for linux specific issues. Although I mostly use Windows at home because of my wife.

linux user's forum?

Reply #46
I don't think an *nix subforum would be of great help, as it would make it harder to find the information you want. For example: If you want to play back mp3 on linux, then you might have to browse the  *nix forum and the mp3 forums until you get the information you want. Maybe a "Setting up audio for beginners" would be usefull. But that should be general as well as linux and BSD newbies might have problems with this, as some windows users with installing the right drivers. The idea with tagging is great. Every thread starter should have the option to mark a thread as "General", "Windows specific" or "*nix specific" and the specific threads should be marked with a little icon like "W" for windows and "X" for *nix in the thread overview.

Just my $0.02
WavPack 4.50.1 -hhx6 | LAME 3.98.2 -V 0

linux user's forum?

Reply #47
One more vote for the Linux forum. In general, the majority of users use Windows, it's a general sense that the first OS assumed to be used on HA is Windows whatever is the subforum.

A Linux subforum would be great. I myself found searching many times for linux specific issues. Although I mostly use Windows at home because of my wife.

I am pretty sure I voted for this before a long time ago and the only reason it was shot down is, because not enough members that visit HA use Linux. The number is greater then anyone could have imagined though, but I think a subforum is necessary given the complexity and much needed user guides that are needed to help new users become more familiar with the operating system including installing and configuring native audio apps (including how to utilize WINE). The same can't be said about Windows or Mac OS/X, which are pretty self-explanatory.

I don't think an *nix subforum would be of great help, as it would make it harder to find the information you want. For example: If you want to play back mp3 on linux, then you might have to browse the *nix forum and the mp3 forums until you get the information you want. Maybe a "Setting up audio for beginners" would be useful. That should be general as well as linux and BSD newbies might have problems with this, as some windows users with installing the right drivers. The idea with tagging is great.

That's one argument against it the added complexity.

Every thread starter should have the option to mark a thread as "General", "Windows specific" or "*nix specific" and the specific threads should be marked with a little icon like "W" for windows and "X" for *nix in the thread overview.

That seems like it would be to complicated to do. 
budding I.T professional

linux user's forum?

Reply #48
maybe sticky topics like [ LINUX ] or [ MAC ] to certain issues on a specific subforum would already help!

linux user's forum?

Reply #49
This would be a great place to have a dedicated linux section. Many people are searching for help right now on the general linux forums so this could pull focus to this great board.

Laters