Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: What's the 'Warn' meter for? (Read 16147 times) previous topic - next topic

What's the 'Warn' meter for?

I just noticed after posting that a new little symbol is showing below my avatar. Warn. Right now it's at 0%. What does it take to peg it? 

Reply #1
This is a new feature of the 1.2 version of the forum software which basically makes our job in moderating the forums easier.  It also gives a visual indicator as to how close you might be towards getting banned from the forums, which is good because it should help prevent some whining related to this.

If you want to see it go up, just try breaking some of the forum rules

Reply #2
It's a new feature we decided to take in use.. 
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #3
Oh, and FWIW, there are only 3 steps in the warning system right now, so each warning increases the percent 1/3rd.  Of course, there's no hard and fast rule for this and banning is still subject to the judgement of the mods/admins, but this at least provides somewhat of a gauge.

Reply #4
So, if there are only three steps, what are the five little orange squares for?
Or is it that the forum software's default is 5 steps but you set it to 3?
Just curious... I will behave! 
I'm the one in the picture, sitting on a giant cabbage in Mexico, circa 1978.
Reseñas de Rock en Español: www.estadogeneral.com

Reply #5
Or is it that the forum software's default is 5 steps but you set it to 3?
Just curious... I will behave! 

The forums default is 10 and the squares are filled in according to percentages.

Reply #6
Haha. Is this doom9 now?

("Three strikes and you're out")

Reply #7
If you want to see it go up, just try breaking some of the forum rules

Hmm. I get myself in enough hot water as it is. Any takers? 

EDIT:

I also see you guys (Admins) aren't immune from the meter. Maybe that isn't such a great idea showing that for you and the mods.

Reply #8
Haha. Is this doom9 now?

("Three strikes and you're out")

No. One can be enough if you are good enough... 
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #9
[deleted]

Reply #10
[deleted]

Reply #11
Honestly, I can't stand the little graphic.  Why is the Warn line seperated from the other info?

I'd like an option to hide this Warn information if it can't be made to look more like the rest of the forum.  All we need is a percentage, if anything.  I could care less what someones warning level is. 

This isn't AOL.

I have to agree -- it's the looks of the graphic that just don't fit.  In fact, it sticks out like a sore thumb, and my eyes keep getting drawn to it. 

Reply #12
I'll have to agree with TrNSZ, a new style would be most welcome.
The little bar catches the eye, it's quite, well, anyoing. please consider a change, if that is possible.

*edit* hua, fewtch did the first run on the hypnotic-bar-issue... daaamn    *edit*
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #13
I agree with the warning being shown. That way, people can't whine that a troll has been banned without being warned first.

And about the bar: It's all a matter of changing it's colour to blue. Calm down, people, it's just been implemented, give the admins some time :-P

Reply #14
I might take a look at this later.

Reply #15
I also see you guys (Admins) aren't immune from the meter. Maybe that isn't such a great idea showing that for you and the mods.

This is just a visual artifact...  Normally people aren't supposed to be able to see other's warnings, but I modified this because I think it's appropriate.  It will require a little more work to stop it from showing completely for some users, and right now I don't have time to fix this.

Reply #16
Frankly, I'm all for it. If anything, it will help keep people civil and will give them pause to think twice about making a questionable comment that might otherwise have been made freely under an umbrella of pseudo-anonimity.

I can think of at least one or two occasions where I may have said things in haste in the heat of debate which may otherwise have been held in check by the lurking "Warn Meter"...

Reply #17
as we speak about new things: I realy like the new smilie-style! well done.
e.g. the 'twinkle'smilie has changed.

I must also say, some time to ponder before writing seems like a good idea, though a style change may realy make some ppl hapy dibrom... 
but  change it or not as you see fit (I guess you would do so anyway...  )

Reply #18
Does the meter ever reset to zero after a certain period of time?

Edit:

I was also thinking of the concept of a "worst offenders" list of users (viewable by administrators and members) who consistently have a high meter level. This would help administrators make more informed decisions about when a person has crossed the final line and should be banned. It would also discourage rule breaking by using peer pressure. A member with a consistently high 'warning' rating is less likely to be taken seriously by other members. It would also leave that member more open to ridicule from other members because he/she is known for making posts that are hostile, false, or otherwise against forum rules. This pressure would encourage that member to either start following the rules or leave.

I am basically just thinking through the phone line to see if anyone else has thought of similar possibilities of the warning system.

End Edit

Reply #19
'trust is good, control is better'...
well, that always was an interesting topic.
one the one hand, more control (feedback, rules, call it what you will) will create a surrounding, where people are bound to theese rules. if they act in a way that offends the rules, they are banished from the society. that way, for most people the rules ensure a 'safe' enviroment with simple if-then-rules that creates the possibility of living (or posting) together.
so far, there is no real, permanent danger comming from low-rank-individuals (us normal members, as we are warned and banished if we break the rules).
rules make adequate interaction possible, but also set it's frames.
one the other hand, there could be a danger in the long run coming from ppl who have the power to change the rules (the admis, moderators). they more or less dictate the rules, we have to see that we do not break them. so if dangerous / bad rules are created, as a result, most users behave according to the (bad) rules (it's another question how to define if the rules are bad or good though...).
what I'm saying is, one may tend to see others only as 'someone who has got two warnings' etc. and may interpret all following post in that way, even if they aren't meant so.
I'm not saying dibrom or others are bad 'leaders', I appreciate your work very much and respect your efforts in this community.
just see to it, that this new tool is not used in some wrong way, continue your great leadership.
*fingers hurt after typing all this*    sorry for this long philosophical post, I hope it's gonna be of some use...

Reply #20
I must also say, some time to ponder before writing seems like a good idea, though a style change may realy make some ppl hapy dibrom...  
but  change it or not as you see fit (I guess you would do so anyway...   )

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this.

Reply #21
but  change it or not as you see fit (I guess you would do so anyway...   )

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by this.

I just wanted to point ou a benfit concerning the new bar: ppl maybe may have to think more before posting.
the style change was targeted at the colour and apperance of the bar itself, meaning I would be happy (and some others too) if that could be changed somehow.
no offence meant. what did you think I meant?

Reply #22
Does the meter ever reset to zero after a certain period of time?

No.  The meter has to be manually downgraded by someone with the appropriate rights.

Reply #23
no offence meant. what did you think I meant?

I wasn't offended.  I guess I thought you were referring to writing style or something..

Reply #24
May be you could hide the indicator while it's at 0% ? For me it looks somewhat irritating.
Just a thought 

-Eugene
The  greatest  programming  project of all took six days;  on the seventh  day  the  programmer  rested.  We've been trying to debug the !@#$%&* thing ever since. Moral: design before you implement.