Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How do i keep control of my playlists? (Read 918 times) previous topic - next topic

How do i keep control of my playlists?

Hello everyone. I really like the way foobar2000 allows me to customize it's interface and sort my library easily (especially with Facets component) as well as it's excellent metadata handling. However something have been bothering me ever since i started to use it : the way it handles playlists!
I understand how it works but i don't find it to be annoying at times. I won't compare it to other softwares, i'm trying to find how i can best use it.

I don't have playlists saved for every album, it's not very useful since the library viewer and facets allow easy access to any album. All works well as long as i only play tracks. I use only the selection playlist and i play it directly. When an album is finished i select another one (i'm still thinking the physical CD way most of the time, and plain random the rest of the time). However things get complicated when i want to work on some songs (maybe check tags or album art) while at the same time listening to my music, as the selected tracks will get messed up with my playing playlist.
I then tried to use reserve a playlist for playing that's different from the selection, however i found no way to easily send new albums to this list. No double click or enter will work. The fastest way was to right click, select "utilities", select "send to playlist", select the playlist in the drop down box and click OK. Nothing impossible but just compare this to the double click i was used to when playing the selection playlist 
Also, doing this puts the active (playing) playlist on all my playlist viewers instead of the selection playlist and i need to revert to this one using the playlist manager to be able to see the tracks i have selected to work on. Again nothing impossible but a small annoyance.

What i'd like to be able to do is
  • Find an easy way to send tracks to a specified playlist and start playing it. Double click/enter support would be perfect but right-click would be OK (without all the other steps)
  • Find a playlist viewer that i can lock on a specific playlist and it wouldn't automatically switch to the active playlist on every occasion

Is this possible with/without additional components? Is it possible and easy to edit a component in order to add those features? I think they would make a very good application near perfect. This would also virtually kill any complaint i've read on foobar2000 not having a WinAMP/MediaMonkey-like playing queue.

Hope i wasn't too long. Thanks for reading