Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: foobar2000 mobile files taking up more space on the device than they should? (Read 2059 times) previous topic - next topic

foobar2000 mobile files taking up more space on the device than they should?

hi,

first time poster so i'm sorry if similar problems have been answered before, but i'm having a strange problem with foobar2000 mobile (though i suspect it could also be a problem with iphones in general).

so i have a 13.1GB music folder that i'm trying to transfer from foobar2000 desktop to foobar2000 mobile using the "media server" thing. when i look at the size of this folder on my pc, it displays accurately (13.1GB), and when i'm about to download it in the foobar2000 mobile app, it also displays accurately, telling me it's a 13.1GB folder.

however, once i download it, i can see from the size of the foobar2000 mobile app that this music folder that's supposed to have 13.1gb of music in it is actually taking up about 15gb of space on the device, meaning the files are taking up more space than they should.

my device is an iphone 6s, and all the files in the music folder are mp3s with bitrates that vary between 128-256kbps, all with metadata and cover art stored on them.

i'm just very confused as to where this mystery extra filesize is coming from, and i'd like to try and reduce it because space is kind of at a premium on my phone. if anyone has any ideas why this is happening it'd be much appreciated. i might try not downloading so many files all at once in one transfer, because maybe that has something to do with it. or maybe it's just iphones sucking as usual.

Re: foobar2000 mobile files taking up more space on the device than they should?

Reply #1
Are album art images being added to the folders as well that aren’t on your PC?

Re: foobar2000 mobile files taking up more space on the device than they should?

Reply #2
not by the looks of it. when i look at the album folders on my phone through the "foobar2000 media folder" section, all that's in them is the mp3 files. i assume the album art's just been added as metadata. you might be onto something though.

anyway, since i posted this thread i managed to cut down my music library to fit on my phone by getting rid of stuff i didn't need, so it's mostly no longer a problem for me. still a weird problem that it might be good to get to the bottom of though.

Reply #3
not by the looks of it. when i look at the album folders on my phone through the "foobar2000 media folder" section, all that's in them is the mp3 files. i assume the album art's just been added as metadata. you might be onto something though.

anyway, since i posted this thread i managed to cut down my music library to fit on my phone by getting rid of stuff i didn't need, so it's mostly no longer a problem for me. still a weird problem that it might be good to get to the bottom of though.
You will need to look in those folders with a separate file browser app to see all files in your media library. Foobar2000 will only show the media files. Just a few folders will tell you if these images have been copied. They are going to be in the Album sub folder, usually named folder.jpg or cover.jpg, something along those lines.

Reply #4

You will need to look in those folders with a separate file browser app to see all files in your media library. Foobar2000 will only show the media files. Just a few folders will tell you if these images have been copied. They are going to be in the Album sub folder, usually named folder.jpg or cover.jpg, something along those lines.

oh, thank you. i didn't know that was the case. yeah, i just looked in those folders with a different file browser, and there are no image files to be seen.

Reply #5

oh, thank you. i didn't know that was the case. yeah, i just looked in those folders with a different file browser, and there are no image files to be seen.
Very strange, there has to be something to show different sizes. Anything hidden, especially images like AlbumArtSmall.jpg, etc? Otherwise I have no other ideas.

Reply #6
Zapewne na PC ma włączoną funkcję kompresji danych. Sprawdź folder lub pliki osobno. Jaki jest rozmiar rzeczywisty i jaki "rozmiar na dysku".  Mnie też kiedyś to zastanawiało.

[TOS #10 - Second warning]

[Deepl.com translation follows:]

It probably has data compression enabled on the PC. Check the folder or files separately. What is the actual size and what is the "size on disk".  This used to puzzle me too.