Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: weird CUE file - I want to edit (Read 4460 times) previous topic - next topic

weird CUE file - I want to edit

I ripped a CD that contains 12 songs, but only 11 tracks were ripped. It seems that songs 7 and 8 were ripped as a single song. I think this means that song 8 was not indexed when the CD was mastered.

The CUE sheet does not include this 8th song, but I would like to alter it so that it does.

First off, I will split the .wav of song 7 so that I have .wavs of both song 7 and 8.

Now, what do I do next? How do I 'fix' the CUE sheet so that my new song 8 is included?

I will post the CUE sheet if that helps. The disc is "Bad Habits" by The Monks.

Thanks!

(How important is it for me to have a 'fixed' CUE sheet? Not really, I guess. I am more interested in having 'fixed' .flac files of all songs - and I think I can do that pretty easily. I just would like to have as complete and perfect a rip as possible.)

Reply #1
What software did you use to rip the CD? What software do you use to read the cue sheet?

You sure the cue sheet doesn't contain 12 times the word TRACK? What matters first is that you indeed have 12 TRACKS in this cue file and a program that hopefully understands more complex cue files like EAC.

I suggest you rip the CD again with EAC and rip to a single file, then use foobar2000 to open the CUE and the WAV (or APE/FLAC) and use it to convert the whole album into single songs each one in whatever format you like, you won't have to deal with manually splitting one or more wavs. But why re-rip to a single file? I found out that many program like Nero, Daemon Tools or Feurio! have problems with complex cue sheets that contain more than one INDEX per TRACK or multiple TRACKS across one source FILE. But the most of those programs support one single WAV+CUE.

You can also try to load the CUE file with EAC it's pretty sane at understanding complex cue sheets. You could even try to burn your "weird" cue+files to a CD-RW.

Reply #2
I used EAC to rip the CD. I've never had a problem before, I just think this CD was mastered incorrectly.

There are only 11 TRACKS in the CUE sheet. I'm sure that ripping the CD as a single file and using foobar2000 to convert it into single songs won't help. The song is there, just appended to the end of song 7, and it doesn't exist in the CUE sheet.

If I can somehow insert the song into the CUE sheet, that would probably do the trick.

I appreciate your help, anyway!

Reply #3
Posting your CUE would help. How to fix it depends on the CUE type (non-compliant or ?) and whether there are gaps... and maybe also how you end up splitting the tracks (and whether you want any silence between the tracks to be indexed as a gap... if so, hopefully you have an editor that will give you times down to the exact frames). lol.

BTW: User submissions at Freedb.org -
looks like the 1st example had the same problem...

1. 2:56 Jonny B. Rotten
2. 3:12 Drugs In My Pocket
3. 3:30 Love In Stereo
4. 3:02 Bad Habits
5. 3:14 Spotty Face
6. 4:29 Dear Jerry
7. 5:37 Nice Legs Shame About Her Face
8. 4:25 Inter-City Kitty
9. 3:26 I Ain't Gettin' Any
10. 2:56 No Shame
11. 4:32 Skylab (Theme From The Monks)

1. 2:56 Johnny B. Rotton
2. 3:12 Drugs In My Pocket
3. 3:30 Love In Stereo
4. 3:02 Bad Habits
5. 3:14 Spotty Face
6. 4:29 Dear Jerry
7. 2:01 Nice Legs Shame About Her Face
8. 3:35 Inter-City Kitty

9. 4:25 Out Of Work Musician
10. 3:26 I Ain't Gettin' Any
11. 2:56 No Shame
12. 4:32 Skylab (Theme From The Monks)

Reply #4
OK, I'll post it. I am worried that there is a problem - I used flacattack with EAC, and the CUE files may have become garbled. It is a "non-compliant" cue sheet, and I checked for gaps (I don't think I had a choice...) But here it is:

(Note: The second freedb.org submission is what I want to have - the first one is what I got!)

Code: [Select]
PERFORMER "The Monks"
TITLE "Bad Habits"
FILE "01 - Johnny B. Rotten.flac" WAVE
 TRACK 01 AUDIO
   TITLE "Johnny B. Rotten"
   PERFORMER "The Monks"
   INDEX 01 00:00:00
FILE "02 - Drugs In My Pocket.flac" WAVE
 TRACK 02 AUDIO
   TITLE "Drugs In My Pocket"
   PERFORMER "The Monks"
FILE "03 - Love In Stereo.flac" WAVE
 TRACK 03 AUDIO
   TITLE "Love In Stereo"
   PERFORMER "The Monks"
FILE "04 - Bad Habits.flac" WAVE
 TRACK 04 AUDIO
   TITLE "Bad Habits"
   PERFORMER "The Monks"
 TRACK 05 AUDIO
   TITLE "Spotty Face"
   PERFORMER "The Monks"
   INDEX 00 03:00:53
FILE "05 - Spotty Face.flac" WAVE
FILE "06 - Dear Jerry.flac" WAVE
 TRACK 06 AUDIO
   TITLE "Dear Jerry"
   PERFORMER "The Monks"
FILE "07 - Nice Legs Shame About Her Face.flac" WAVE
 TRACK 07 AUDIO
   TITLE "Nice Legs Shame About Her Face"
   PERFORMER "The Monks"
FILE "08 - Out Of Work Musician.flac" WAVE
 TRACK 08 AUDIO
   TITLE "Out Of Work Musician"
   PERFORMER "The Monks"
FILE "09 - I Ain't Gettin' Any.flac" WAVE
 TRACK 09 AUDIO
   TITLE "I Ain't Gettin' Any"
   PERFORMER "The Monks"
FILE "10 - No Shame.flac" WAVE
 TRACK 10 AUDIO
   TITLE "No Shame"
   PERFORMER "The Monks"
FILE "11 - Skylab (Theme From The Monks).flac" WAVE
 TRACK 11 AUDIO
   TITLE "Skylab (Theme From The Monks)"
   PERFORMER "The Monks"

Reply #5
Seems pretty straight-forward to me... After splitting the merged track (and editing the numbers of the tracks that follow #7), I'd just edit the cue like such:

Code: [Select]
FILE "08 - Inter-City Kitty.flac" WAVE
 TRACK 08 AUDIO
   TITLE "Inter-City Kitty"
   PERFORMER "The Monks"
FILE "09 - Out Of Work Musician.flac" WAVE
 TRACK 09 AUDIO
   TITLE "Out Of Work Musician"
   PERFORMER "The Monks"
FILE "10 - I Ain't Gettin' Any.flac" WAVE
 TRACK 10 AUDIO
   TITLE "I Ain't Gettin' Any"
   PERFORMER "The Monks"
FILE "11 - No Shame.flac" WAVE
 TRACK 11 AUDIO
   TITLE "No Shame"
   PERFORMER "The Monks"
FILE "12 - Skylab (Theme From The Monks).flac" WAVE
 TRACK 12 AUDIO
   TITLE "Skylab (Theme From The Monks)"
   PERFORMER "The Monks"

*note: it looks like the code box is removing some of the spaces from the original cue formatting. (1 space in front of TRACK, TITLE, PERFORMER, INDEX) Not sure if it really matters, but I'd just make sure to follow the original cue formatting consistenly throughout...

Reply #6
Thanks Cosmo! It looks good. Can you explain one more thing? What happened to the track lengths in the CUE file?

I think maybe that is a dumb question, because maybe the track lengths are included in the audio file itself. Do they show up in the CUE file only if all songs are ripped as a single wave?

Reply #7
Thanks Cosmo! It looks good. Can you explain one more thing? What happened to the track lengths in the CUE file?

I think maybe that is a dumb question, because maybe the track lengths are included in the audio file itself. Do they show up in the CUE file only if all songs are ripped as a single wave?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

You're welcome.
Cue sheets don't actually use track lengths per se, they use index points. With individual tracks as such, the overall track lengths aren't necessary, just indices of where any appended gaps are. (though in some cases there are also indices greater than 01... but that's non-typical...)

In your Cue, there was one "gap" between T4 and T5 and you'll notice an INDEX 00 of 03:00:53. Track 4 (as ripped) is roughly 3:02 in length, and the 00 index specifies that the end of song is at 3:00:53 ... and the remaining second or so is the "gap" that was appended to the end of the track.

Different ripping methods (a single image or individual tracks, the way gaps are appended) require / result in different Cue sheet formats.

more info:
[a href="http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Gap_settings]http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=Gap_settings[/url]
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=EAC_CUE_Sheets

Reply #8
Great stuff. I have re-worked my original CUE file, cut the wave into two, flacced the songs, and edited all the tags. I now have the album + CUE sheet exactly the way I want it.

I did a test with Burrrn, and it loads the new CUE sheet flawlessly. (I had to add some spaces, as you mentioned, to make it all work. Minor problem!) When I get a moment, I will actually burn a CD-RW to check it all out. I am confident it will work.

Now I have a flacced album with individual songs (my personal preference) and a CUE sheet that will let me 'ressurrect' the actual disc if my original should go missing. (Or a copy that is close enough to the actual disc!)

Thanks once again!