Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Windows USB 2.0 drivers w/out SP2 (Read 18069 times) previous topic - next topic

Windows USB 2.0 drivers w/out SP2

Reply #25
You have perfectly logical reasons for sticking with your setup (if it ain't broke, don't fix it) but I still think that you should install SP2! [a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=281962"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Ha ha, yeah, I know what you mean.  SP2 could only make it even more secure, you're right.  I guess I just don't like idea of windows telling me more and more what I can or can't execute on my own system?  I'm quite certain that my reasons are pretty idealistic and illogical when it comes down it.  While I'm at it, I should just switch to linux. 

Those drivers looked like just the thing...it said on the page it would work with standard XP (I thought, at least)...but when I try it, it says I need to get SP1.

I think I'm about ready to give up at this point...thank you everyone for your help.  Maybe one day I'll just crack and get the packs. 

Reply #26
FrDakota, XP doesn't come with USB 2.0 drivers by default (link). You have to get them off Microsoft, and they're only giving them away with the service packs.  Even the mobo disc didn't have them...it directed me to Microsoft's site. [{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

If you read me right, that's exactly what I said.

But anyway if you want to use USB 2.0 without at least SP1 you're going the wrong way.

I suggest you read this page [a href="http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;312370]Universal Serial Bus 2.0 Support in Windows XP[/url]

• Your Hi-Speed Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0 device does not operate in Hi-Speed mode.
• If you plug in a Hi-Speed USB 2.0 device, you receive any of the following warnings:
The Generic USB Hub is a HI-SPEED USB device and will function at reduced speed when plugged into a non-HI-SPEED port.
HI-SPEED USB Device Plugged into non-HI-SPEED USB Hub. A HI-SPEED USB device is plugged into a non-HI-SPEED USB hub.

• An Enhanced Host Controller Interface-compliant (EHCI-compliant) USB host controller appears in Device Manager with an exclamation point in a yellow circle, or with status code 28.

Before SP1 you had to do three thing to install USB 2.0 on XP (and the patches were available on the motherboard's CDs at that time, now good luck for finding them).

1. Install QFE fix for USB 2.0. (Q312370_WXP_SP1_x86_ENU.exe in english)
2. Install INF driver. (Skipable if already installed)
3. Install USB 2.0 Driver. (If you have them)

Not worth the trouble. Just install SP1 and live with it. And make your image from it for future restores. At least SP1 doesn't have the DEP implemented if that bothers you. You can get it  here.

Reply #27
stuff
It seems you are quite concerned with security after all. Good to see. I just want to make a few things clear.

I wasn't trying to be an asshole or an elite bastard, by being so stubborn about SP2. I was trying to recommend the optimal solution to your problem. There is a lot of FUD going on with SP2, and to be frank, I'm tired of seeing people not installing service packs, for whatever arbitrary reason they've read on Slashdot. People often argue that it's their own computer, and they are free to do what they want with it, which is true, strictly speaking. But when someones computer starts hitting my servers with Blaster, or whatever the worm of the week is, or is filling my inbox with spam, it becomes my problem too, and they are directly to blame for it, for being too lazy, ignorant or uninformed. So that is why I'm zealous about getting people to keep their systems updated, and in that regard, at least keeping up with service packs is mandatory.

If you've got your systems locked down, by other means than service packs, good  for you - and good for me, and everyone else. I still think something is wrong on your end, that could be fixed, but as long as you're not relaying any spam or worms, whatever problems you get into from your lack of service packs, are entirely your own, at which point I no longer care. It's your computers, and you can do what you want with them.

(insert smileys where deemed appropriate)

Reply #28
I wasn't trying to be an asshole or an elite bastard, by being so stubborn about SP2. I was trying to recommend the optimal solution to your problem. There is a lot of FUD going on with SP2, and to be frank, I'm tired of seeing people not installing service packs, for whatever arbitrary reason they've read on Slashdot. People often argue that it's their own computer, and they are free to do what they want with it, which is true, strictly speaking. But when someones computer starts hitting my servers with Blaster, or whatever the worm of the week is, or is filling my inbox with spam, it becomes my problem too, and they are directly to blame for it, for being too lazy, ignorant or uninformed. So that is why I'm zealous about getting people to keep their systems updated, and in that regard, at least keeping up with service packs is mandatory.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=282046"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I agree with you completely. There's a lot of FUD regarding SP2, fuelled even by some respectable sites like eWeek and ZDNet.

The truth is that you can turn off most of the new features in SP2 if you wish, and your computer will run as fast and trouble-free as it was with SP1 (or even faster).

As I mentioned a few posts above, DEP can be turned off completely

And the firewall, autoupdates and security center can also be turned off completely by typing these simple commands:
Code: [Select]
sc config ALG start= disabled
sc config Browser start= disabled
sc config SharedAccess start= disabled
sc config wscsvc start= disabled
sc config wuauserv start= disabled

Note: The Computer Browser service needs to be disabled because for some strange reason Microsoft decided to make it dependent on the firewall and will not work unless you have the firewall service running.

Cheers.

Reply #29
I have spent several months reading about SP2.
The reputable tech sites report it as having very few issues and in limited situations.
Since I run a single dedicated firewall I have just disabled the XP firewall and Security Center ( look in services ). Security Center is like Microsoft Bob, not for experienced users.
There are several important security fixes that make it unwise in my opinion to not install the service pack.
I have two AMD XP based systems I upgraded to SP2. They are rock solid with no issues.
I have installed a couple of Slipstreamed SP2 systems. They are rock solid.