Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Could not update tags (Invalid path syntax) (Read 926 times) previous topic - next topic

Could not update tags (Invalid path syntax)

On Windows with NTFS, foobar has problems renaming or updating files that came from Linux (UNIX) where some characters are allowed in file names of NTFS that are not in Windows. When trying to rename or move such files, fb2k fails. It seems a function like $ntfs() that fixes invalid characters for NTFS (in addition to $ascii()) is needed. Maybe there should be others (like $FAT(), $VFAT()), too...

Real-life example:
Code: [Select]
Could not update tags (Invalid path syntax) on:
"T:\RIP\Romanze aus "The Gadfly".flac"
Could not update tags (Invalid path syntax) on:
"T:\RIP\Romanze aus "The Gadfly".ogg"

Re: Could not update tags (Invalid path syntax)

Reply #1
Thanks for the bug report.

Unfortunately I seem to be unable to create such files.
Windows Explorer is explicitly disallowing the problematic characters.
I tried various patterns of moving files between Linux/macOS/Windows, also creating such files on Linux NAS shares and neither would let Windows see the file with a " character in it.
How exactly did you get such files in a Windows filesystem in first place?
Microsoft Windows: We can't script here, this is bat country.

Reply #2
maybe ' plus ' = '' ?

Reply #3
It wouldn't be that because that's perfectly legal in windows filenames and is the default replacement when using the foobar converter/file operations with tags that contain double quotes,

Reply #4
Sorry for the delay, I thought it's obvious: I created these files from Linux (where I had ripped them). I wasn't aware that the alowed characters in Linux are a superset of those allowed in Windows. The problem arises if you automatically assign a file name from the trac or album title.