Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Playlist specific playback order, playlist management (Read 4975 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from foo_playlist_organize...

Playlist specific playback order, playlist management

Hello,

Does each playlist in foobar hold an inherent song order, such as the way iTunes does? Where each song holds a specific number or value (which you can change) in that playlist alone?    Where you can sort the playlist by album or artist, but then you can go back and sort the playlist according to the "playlist order"?  It's kind of hard to explain this, hopefully with my explanation combined with the attached screenshot, what I'm asking is understandable.  The order I am referring to is represented by the number at the left of each track in this screenshot.

The reason I am asking this question is the following:

I have just transferred my 20000-song music library from iTunes to foobar.  I have dozens of playlists, and some of these playlists have thousands of tracks which are in a specific order.  If I accidentally click on the "artist" or "album" tab in the playlist, it will automatically re-sort everything and lose its order.  It would be ideal for me if these playlists do have an "inherent" (for lack of a more accurate term) order which I can return to (and change), like in iTunes. 

If there is a way to lock a playlist's order, this would be an okay work-around, but it would be less than ideal, because anytime I unlock the playlist and want to add tracks or move tracks, there would still be that risk of accidentally clicking one of the tabs and completely losing the playlist order. 

Thanks for any help.

Re: Playlist specific playback order, playlist management

Reply #1
Hello and welcome to HydrogenAudio !
Your question is nor really related to foo_plorg but rather to playlist management in general, or to the playlist viewer you are using. Hopefully a mod will move your post.

Reply #2
@bbobe26
I think it's useful to think of foobar2000's *.fpl "playlists" more as containers. Since you can load entire (and multiple) playlists into them. So for example if you want to fix a certain order, you can have a permanent foobar2000 playlist called "Whatever", and simply load (File > Add files ...) a "classical-strict-order.m3u" playlist into it. You can make all the changes to the order you want in the "whatever.fpl" container - it won't have any effect on the classical-strict-order.m3u playlist until you save it (right click playlist tab > save as ..."). 

That's why with foobar2000 there's really no need to have a vast array of static playlists (always on display). Since loading files into the "fpl" containers is easy and quick, You can keep them loaded for as long as you like, until you decide to flush the static container and use it for something else - the "classical-strict-order.m3u" won't get overwritten by foobar2000 (unless you manually instruct it to).

That's the way I use foobar2000 anyway. It seems designed for this kind of behaviour.
See this pic: - you'll notice all the foobar2000 playlists have names like Current, Temp, Random etc ... those "playlists" (containers) are used to create, load, re-order, edit, save many m3u playlists stored outside of the foobar2000 directory structure (......\foobar2000\playlists-v1.3\*.fpl).

C.
PC = TAK + LossyWAV  ::  Portable = Opus (130)

Reply #3
If there is a way to lock a playlist's order, this would be an okay work-around, but it would be less than ideal, because anytime I unlock the playlist and want to add tracks or move tracks, there would still be that risk of accidentally clicking one of the tabs and completely losing the playlist order.
This component allows specific playlist locking options and more. To hide the column headers in a playlist you would need to use a third party playlist renderer. The easiest is probably using the default playlist versions in Columns UI. It's a simple tickbox in its options. Once you have the columns you want to see you can then check the box and hide them.

Others included ESPlaylist (DUI/CUI), JScript Panel has an included JS Smooth Playlist mod script (DUI/CUI), ELPlaylist (CUI). These options are highly configurable, but are more difficult to setup advanced views.

DUI = Default User Interface (stock)
CUI = Column UI (third party)