Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Listening to MP3s: EQ or No EQ? (Read 16868 times) previous topic - next topic

Listening to MP3s: EQ or No EQ?

Reply #25
But the real problem is being the source MP3's (or in general, lossy codecs). When you equalize, you're changing the gains of the bands, which might make distortions hearable when they weren't.
yep. some artiffacts pop ups easily when using eq

seems to me that, at least if you're making your system's response as flat at possible anyways, you'll actually be making the lossy codec perform better, since a non-flat response could be making artifacts and distortions more noticable, since I'm sure lossy codecs must be assuming flat response for their calculations, no?

Reply #26
Just note one thing, eq can be good when it is used for correcting frequency response deficiencies in your audio chain.

In fact, a good eq can avoid hearing compression artifacts, because those artifacts may be audible due to those defficiencies in your audio chain. If the eq corrects some of those deficiencies, you will be closer to the ideal "flat" frequency response that lossy compressors assume when doing their psychoacoustic calculations.

I see you agree, yet don't practice what you preach?

Reply #27
I see you agree, yet don't practice what you preach?

Because first I have to know what corrections my speakers+room would need, I have to measure them and experiment with possible corrections. I've not done it yet, but I already bought a measurement mic and it's in my list of things to do.

Also, if you use good headphones, the frequency response defficiencies won't be very important in most cases.