Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: free audio editors vs. professional ones (Read 17353 times) previous topic - next topic

free audio editors vs. professional ones

Reply #25
Voxengo recently released Marvel GEQ, which is also linear-phase and it's free! And Voxengo stuff is known to work well and have great support.

I downloaded this, extracted the folder and put it into the plug-in folder in audacity but it's not working.  Hmmm, maybe because i have audacity 1.3 beta (unicode)?

Reply #26
Do other VSTs work this way?
I don't have Audacity here, but in general you have to have a system-wide VST folder (usually in Program Files) and then point the host to it, in the settings.

Reply #27
Importing MP3 files several hours long takes forever. The dialog says it'll take like 15 minutes or so, but after the dialog goes away (indicating it should be done), there's still at least a good 5 to 8 minutes before the program becomes responsive. After that it's smoother but before that it's really a pain in the butt.

This is on a VIsta 64 system with a Phenom II X4 940 and 4GB of RAM.

Hmmm... Mine says it isn't compiled to load mp3.  Wav and Vorbis work fine.  A 2+ hour wav loads in about 6 seconds, then a status line at the bottom says loading complete, but calculating waveform display (couple more minutes).  The part not yet calculated shows with diagonal stripes.  If I click in that region I can still play, select, etc, and it immediately shifts its attention to the wave form in that region.  The Vorbis version of the same file loads in about 4 minutes, and the waveform is up a few seconds after the dialog closes.  Overall, works pretty well considering the age of the computer.

For myself,  if a program is running sluggishly in Vista I'm not quick to attribute that to the program 
Yesterday I was helping a friend update Office on a dual core Vista machine and even the browser was a real snoozer.  Microsoft could have made a lot of money by selling ads on that swirly "Please wait" icon.

You also don't say what version of Audacity you are running.  I have not done much on the "stable" version 1.2 which is apparently way different than 1.3x

Reply #28
I don't have Audacity here, but in general you have to have a system-wide VST folder (usually in Program Files) and then point the host to it, in the settings.

I have put a VST in there before and it worked.  Don't know why this isn't working. Maybe i'll go onto the audacity forum and ask.

Reply #29

I figured it out. there is a option for audacity to check whenever new effects are added. When you check that, it will recognize it after a restart.  I thought that was already in use, but I guess not.

Reply #30
...(More technically: Audacity's EQ implements a fixed-tap FIR filter with graphical response specification. I haven't looked at the actual algorithm, but the signal processing textbook I read in college -- Lathi -- pretty much describes exactly what Audacity is doing...
In my opinion, though it goes without saying that Audacity does an excellent job with signal processing, my favorite parts of the program are how it displays spectrograms and plots scalograms. As a book afficionado, I read every book on digital signal processing I can get my hands on. Unfortunately, many of the great SP books are out-of-date and because of where I work (I work at a place where students sell textbooks), only the few that students actually sell, and, out of those few books, only the most current versions arrive at the receiving dept. Here are 3 of those books I would not hesitate to recommend: "Discrete Time Signal Processing," by Oppenheim, "Digital Signal Processing," by Mitra, and "Practical Applications In Digital Signal Processing," by Newbold.

Don't be intimidated by the uber-scientific lingo, just learn what you can, and based on what you know, you can choose whatever audio application suits your needs best (Audacity usually fits the bill for many people).

One more thing: be aware of the processing power of whatever computer you are using. One of my computers was built in 2002, and definitely does not have the processing power to operate the newer SP applications.

Good luck!