Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: List of recommended LAME settings (Read 648819 times) previous topic - next topic

List of recommended LAME settings

Reply #75
Could someone add, in the links section under (Rename/ID3 Tagging), the programs MPTagger (http://surf.to/mptagger), my favorite, and Helium2 (http://www.helium2.com/) as they are two of the most well liked and used tagging programs out there.

And add a link under those two to Sawg's great ID3 Tagger lists.
http://forums.winamp.com/showthread.php?threadid=64962
p.s.  good job Dibrom on re-organizing the list and your (CBR < ABR < VBR in terms of quality) note.  Makes things just that much more understandable.

Reply #76
Hi,

done.

Added only the  link to the list, not to helium and mptagger, because then the list becomes to big.
And the newbie would get too much infos at first moment.

If he needs other programs than renatager, he can look at list, where he can find mptagger and helium2, too.

Reply #77
Hi,

the increasement from 248 to 267 is not much.

I tested with my usual files and found out, that in fact the bitrate from dm xtreme to alt extreme has not changed much.

With a specific file it decreased eg. from 280 to 278.

But some other things have changed. More use of short blocks eg.

That you can read in other post I think.

I would say that dm xtrme and alt exrteme  have  very good resulting bitrates.

Of course they vary a lot , eg. from 220 to 280.
That depends much from your material.
Of course loud hiphop with a lot of dynamic needs more bittrate for same qulaity compared to a other songs which are slower, more quiet.

@Dibrom:
I don't think you need to try to decrease bitrate of extreme .
If you use it over a lot of music it will result in perhaps 250 kbit/s.

You have said by yourself, that quality is the goal of extreme.
Who wants to save bitrate, should try alt standard, or an abr, or cbr setting.

Reply #78
user,

Well perhaps I won't change too much.  I'm not even sure if I will really change anything yet.  Quality certainly isn't an issue, but maybe the bitrate could be slightly more tuned.  I'm going to encode a few more albums with this mode today and test what kind of averages I get.  I'd like to shoot for a 256kbps average if possible (which as you say, it may already be reaching.. at least some of my data seems to indicate this as well).

So I won't really change anything unless I'm sure there is a need to, so far there probably isn't.

Reply #79
Thanks for checking into this again...because I really don't know the dynamics that go into your efforts, I was just asking about the differences, not really requesting that you make any changes.  I love the quality and I've noticed some good improvements in some of the tracks.  I was planning on encoding 30 albums today with it that I had already ripped from last week using EAC, so I wanted to make sure everything was kosher before I hit "go".

Reply #80
Edited the link list a bit. The link to "Dibrom's Mp3/MP3pro" forum wasn't working, same problem with that link at r3mix's forum list. Also changed it from "MP3/MP3plus" to proper "MP3/Mp3pro"...
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #81
Originally posted by user
Hi,

done. 

Added only the  link to the list, not to helium and mptagger, because then the list becomes to big.
And the newbie would get too much infos at first moment.

If he needs other programs than renatager, he can look at list, where he can find mptagger and helium2, too.
The list is already big.  two more lines isn't much.  Just add em.

I'd say it's better to suggest the 3 best ID3Taggers up front so that if renatagger, or whatever they try first, doesnt suit their needs then they don't have to spend hours trying out and downloading every one of those taggers on the list just to find out what the best are... cause we have already told them.  Chances are atleast one of them will tickle their fancy.

Reply #82
Improved spelling & layout.

Reply #83
Where is this list you're speaking of?  I haven't been able to find links to any recommended ID3 editors on this site...I tried under downloads and web links but no dice.

Thanks,

Jason

Reply #84
One more formatting bit:

Under "VBR (variable bitrate) settings", the first line should be changed from "Even Higher Quality" to "Very High Quality +" (as they have it on the r3mix forum).
It's is not, it isn't ain't, and it's it's, not its, if you mean it is.  If you don't, it's its.

Reply #85
I prefer "even higher quality" personally.  The + part was since --r3mix was originally there.  For that matter though the r3mix.net list isn't completely synched up with here anyway so it's probably not a big deal.

Reply #86
Updated the bitrate information for "extreme".

Reply #87
can someone please just add the 2 ID3Taggers i suggested

Reply #88
done

Reply #89
thanks buddy

[edit]p.s.

at the top of the list you still have the recomended compiler linking to rev8b.  might wanna update that.

Reply #90
Originally posted by SNYder
p.s.

at the top of the list you still have the recomended compiler linking to rev8b.  might wanna update that.
Updated.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #91
2 short questions:

1. Why is -q 2 (-h) used instead of -q 0? I know that -q2 is recommended as it is faster and that -q0 doesn't yield significantly better results, but doesn't -q0 results in better quality (which is what we're after here)? Does -q0 cause certain problems by trying to find the 'best' type of noise shaping etc.?

2. Is there an audible difference (for most people) between a lowpass of 19200 Hz (defaulted in preset standard) and 19900 Hz (defaulted in extreme i think)? Would setting the lowpass as 19.5 using preset standard affect the quality much? Just nice to know that the full 20-20k is kept intact.

Thnx.

Reply #92
Originally posted by c15zyx
2 short questions:

1. Why is -q 2 (-h) used instead of -q 0? I know that -q2 is recommended as it is faster and that -q0 doesn't yield significantly better results, but doesn't -q0 results in better quality (which is what we're after here)? Does -q0 cause certain problems by trying to find the 'best' type of noise shaping etc.?

No, -q0 does not result in better quality, only slower encoding.  All of the areas for increases in quality which would be "obvious" such as using command line switches, I've already examined and made use of where appropriate.  -q0 also defaults Takehiro's new noise shaping which may allow for more room for error in added noise and the speed hit is around 40% with a bit savings of around 2kbps.  There is no audible difference or increase in quality, and the hit in speed and more room for error are, IMO, unacceptable at this time. 

2. Is there an audible difference (for most people) between a lowpass of 19200 Hz (defaulted in preset standard) and 19900 Hz (defaulted in extreme i think)?

No.  Especially not in actual music.

Would setting the lowpass as 19.5 using preset standard affect the quality much? Just nice to know that the full 20-20k is kept intact.

It wouldn't really bring you an increase in quality, just larger sizes.  As I've said before, if you can actually hear up to 20khz clearly on actual music, with a high degree of regularity (this is very rare), then you shouldn't be using MP3 anyway because the quality starts to significantly degrade once you pass 16khz.  In addition, more advanced formats like AAC, MPC, and Vorbis, do not encode up to these frequencies all the time either.. masking plays a role here, and often times even if you *can* hear up to those frequencies in real music (again very rare) sometimes, there are many times that the masking effect is so strong you won't hear them in that particular case anyway.

Ideally, an adaptive lowpass filter would be the best thing to use here, but it'd take some work, and masking of high frequencies would need to be better calculated in LAME than it is currently to really make effective use of this.

Reply #93
Added link to HOW TO Reencode mp3 to mp3 keeping id3tags

Reply #94
added lowpass 16 to ABR 134/128 setting. It was missing there.

I wonder why in alt preset 128 scale 0.93 is implemented.
Clipping can be avoided by mp3gain or mp3trim.

Snelg wants to add an automatic funtion into his mp3gain, so that there will be an one click success deal to get maximized files without clipping.

Reply #95
added lowpass 16 to ABR 134/128 setting. It was missing there.

Probably 134 should revert back to 128 if the bitrate problem has been fixed, which it should be according to the history for the 3.90 release.  But to be honest, I haven't checked.  Lowpass 16 is needed if 128 is used, but not needed if 134 is used.

I wonder why in alt preset 128 scale 0.93 is implemented. 
Clipping can be avoided by mp3gain or mp3trim.

Snelg wants to add an automatic funtion into his mp3gain, so that there will be an one click success deal to get maximized files without clipping.

scale 0.93 is used because probably the majority of lame users who use lower bitrates like 128 won't be as anal about quality as to use a separate utility like mp3gain to adjust the gain after encoding.

ff123

Reply #96
Originally posted by ff123
Probably 134 should revert back to 128 if the bitrate problem has been fixed, which it should be according to the history for the 3.90 release.  But to be honest, I haven't checked.  Lowpass 16 is needed if 128 is used, but not needed if 134 is used.

Since Mark and Gabriel made the tweak to the ABR code, I've removed the code in --alt-preset that attempts to compensate for the bitrate usually falling short of the specified rate.  It seems to be fine now in the short tests that I ran, so at least I'd probably say it's fine to recommend 128 again.

scale 0.93 is used because probably the majority of lame users who use lower bitrates like 128 won't be as anal about quality as to use a separate utility like mp3gain to adjust the gain after encoding.

Yeah, the majority of LAME users probably don't even know about mp3gain, so until replaygain support is added to --scale (I'm not even sure if there are plans for this though),  I think it's better to just implement scale in the presets, especially since it can easily be overriden with a --scale 1

EDIT:  Oops.. this is Dibrom on Sphoid's PC, didn't realize till I made the post.. lol.

Reply #97
Originally posted by user

"wants to" isn't exactly correct. It would be more accurate to say, "has, by popular demand, been compelled to"

-Glen

Reply #98
"or (ff123's and Hans' suggestion -- http://www.ff123.net/cbr128.html):

-b128 -h --nspsytune --athtype 2 --lowpass 16 --ns-bass -8 "

Is the lowpass switch, I added yesterday to 128 CBR commandline, really needed ?
Or not, if lowpass 16 is a preset of Lame at 128 CBR ?

Then it would be better it is removed again, so that this line becomes as short as possible.

Sorry for my limited knowledge.

What is with ABR 128 / 134 ? Is there lowpass 16 preswitched by lame, too, or not ?

So my last question this year !

Where at those two command lines should be removed lowpass 16 to result in as short command lines as possible ?

@Snelg:

many Thanks for doing great work with mp3gain, I think, I am not the only one who likes your program.

@all:

"Einen guten Rutsch ins Neue Jahr !"

"Have a nice skating into New Year !"

"Skating Away on the thin ice of the new day"

Reply #99
"or (ff123's and Hans' suggestion -- http://www.ff123.net/cbr128.html): 

-b128 -h --nspsytune --athtype 2 --lowpass 16 --ns-bass -8 " 

Is the lowpass switch, I added yesterday to 128 CBR commandline, really needed ? 
Or not, if lowpass 16 is a preset of Lame at 128 CBR ? 

Then it would be better it is removed again, so that this line becomes as short as possible.

At 128, the lowpass 16 is needed, otherwise it defaults to something lower than 16 kHz.  BTW, you forgot the scale in the command line above.

What is with ABR 128 / 134 ? Is there lowpass 16 preswitched by lame, too, or not ?

At 134, lame defaulted to lowpass 16 -- the bitrate was just high enough for it to do that, I guess.

ff123