Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: aac files wont play(foobar (1.6.5) (Read 1048 times) previous topic - next topic

aac files wont play(foobar (1.6.5)

i have the latest foobar ver 1.6.5. the problem is  aac files made with fre :ac v1.1.4 wont play ( skippable in the list). i also got the free encoder pack that includes the aac decoder in it and executed it . in foobar, the component module installed  is foo_pd_aac ver1.20 with the name fdk-aac packet decoder.  what i'm doing wrong? . thank you for help. if i pick mp3 or flac files, they play without problem, so i guess the problem lies with my settings or this aac packet decoder

Re: aac files wont play(foobar (1.6.5)

Reply #1
Are you saying ONLY the AAC files encoded with fre:ac won't play, but all other AAC files will?  Can you upload a sample somewhere of one of the problem files?

BTW the Free Encoder Pack does not decode.  If you have foo_pd_aac installed that will be the priority AAC decoder over the FAAD-based "stock" one.  I have it installed and all AAC files play fine here.

Reply #2
If you have foo_pd_aac installed that will be the priority AAC decoder over the FAAD-based "stock" one.
Small correction. foo_pd_aac is used only for AAC variants, that are not supported by built-in decoder. It won't take priority for "normal" (e.g. AAC-LC with 1024 samples per frame) AAC files.  And built-in one is ffmpeg, not FAAD.

Reply #3
No, major correction--thanks Rollin!  I had thought that ffmpeg did use FAAD.  And mis-interpreted the description of foo_pd_aac ("This component replaces the stock input component's AAC decoder with the one from FDK-AAC v2.0.1, to support AAC formats not supported by FFmpeg, such as xHE-AAC / USAC") as meaning it was a total replacement that included the formerly non-supported formats.

Reply #4
I need to amend the description, thanks for reminding me.