Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [Skin] NewMoon 1.0 and 1.0s (Read 3483 times) previous topic - next topic - Topic derived from [Skin] Nightowl 2.0 a...

[Skin] NewMoon 1.0 and 1.0s

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback on Nightowl 1.0, the skin I posted last time.
Here, I'd like to post new skins, NewMoon 1.0 and 1.0s.

In response to many requests for a pure black background skin for devices with OLED displays, such as the iPhone 14 Pro, I have created these skins.
Enjoy beautiful high-contrast and less power-consuming artwork display ;)
In addition, now you can choose how to display artwork for your preference: rounded corners -> 1.0, unrounded corners -> 1.0s (square).

Skin Name: NewMoon
Version: 1.0
Published Date: 2023/3/8 (in Japan)

Descriptions:
  • Compatible with 20:9. 19.5:9, 16:9 aspect ratio: Pixel 7 Pro, iPhone 14 Pro, iPhone SE 2, and etc.
  • No conflict with notches, punch holes, or dynamic island on the top of the display.
  • Simple and dark theme with pure black background.
  • Displaying album artwork, album title, release date, title, artist name, current playback position and total duration.
  • Designed for one-handed operation on a smartphone.

Installation:
  • For iOS, locate the skin file (.fbskin) in the application folder via the iTunes file sharing function or the FTP sharing function of foobar2000 for mobile, etc. You will find "NewMoon" under Tools > Choose Skin > User Skins. Choose it.
  • For Android, locate the skin file (.fbskin) in internal memory or sd card. Select Tools > Choose Skin > ADD MORE > Open... and open the skin file. You will find "NewMoon" under Tools > Choose Skin > USER SKINS. Choose it. If you get "Access denied" error,  try installing foobar2000 for mobile v1.2 via .apk file.
  • For Mac (with Apple Sillicon), basic procedure is identical to the case of iOS but location of application folder is complicated. On my M2 MBA (2022), I found it under Macintosh HD > Users > "User Name" > Library > Containers > foobar2000 > Data > Documents. Locate the skin file (.fbskin) in the Documents folder.
  • For Windows 11, installation procedure is identical to the case of Android.

Details and Usage:
  • Artwork with 1:1 aspect ratio should be displayed with rounded corner (non-square artwork might not be displayed with rounded corner).
  • Too long titles or names will be truncated.
  • Ticks on the slider are for reference.
  • To open the menu, tap the title or artist name.
  • You can switch shuffle and/or repeat playback mode with buttons (single repeat cannot be selected with a button).

Notes:
  • If you use a smartphone with an unsupported aspect ratio, or if you change the window size on a Mac or Windows, the intended display will not be obtained.
  • Supported aspect ratios may be added upon request. Planning to support the latest iPad series (i.e., 4:3).
  • Feedbacks on layout, coloring are welcome!!
  • Here is a github repository for this skin. You may use these raw files for non-commercial use. If you have adapted a skin to a device that the original does not support, please share the skin .txt file within this topic.

Acknowledgements:

This original skin was made for personal use. Therefore, it is always fundamentally a BETA version.
Especially, I am not an Android user, so I have not tested my skin on Android smartphones, and I am not familiar with the specifications of Android-specific displaying function (e.g., home button).

If you have any requests or problems, please do not hesitate to report them.
The name of the device, specifications of the display, and information about the display area of the skin, which can be obtained from Tools > Console in foobar2000 for mobile, would be helpful.
I may accommodate your requests depending on my capacity.

Re: [Skin] NewMoon 1.0 and 1.0s

Reply #2
Amazing skin! Works perfectly on my iPhone 13. Thank you!

Reply #3
Amazing skin! Works perfectly on my iPhone 13. Thank you!
Thanks for reporting!! Glad to hear my skin is working well on your phone.

Reply #4
This is a great improvement over NightOwl, but I wish everything was more centered, there is a huge gap on the bottom side. This is how it looks on my iPhone 14 Pro.

Reply #5

This is a really nice theme. Modern, yet it actually looks appealing. Great work!

Reply #6
This is a great improvement over NightOwl, but I wish everything was more centered, there is a huge gap on the bottom side. This is how it looks on my iPhone 14 Pro.

Thank you for your feedback and sorry for really late reply.
I left-aligned the track title and artist name, referring to the playback screens of the Apple Music and Spotify.
However, it depends on preference, and I understand users who prefer center-aligned layout.

Fortunately, the new skin file format, which will be adopted from v1.5, currently in beta testing, will allow users to access the sub-skin definition files by unzipping the skin file.
This will make it easier for users to adjust the layout to their preferences.
For example, if you want the track title and artist name to be centered, change the option of the corresponding [label] element from "left" to "centered".

The new NewMoon 2.0 skin, currently being tweaked, will display replaygain information of the current track in the bottom section.
This will probably reduce the unnaturalness.

This is a really nice theme. Modern, yet it actually looks appealing. Great work!

Thank you for your feedback. I am grad you liked it.

Reply #7
NewMoon 2.0 and 2.0s, which supports the new skin file format, will be available soon.
The new skin file format allows more information to be displayed with the foobar2000 titleformatting.

The updates are as follows:
  • Next track information field - Next track title and artist name (and artwork in landscape mode) will be displayed.
  • Technical information field - Codec, bits per sample, sample rate, and source quality (Lossless or Hi-res Lossless) of current track will be displayed. In case of lossy, bit rate will be displayed following the codec name instead of source quality.
  • Replaygain information field - Album gain and track gain values of current track will be displayed if available.
  • One track button
  • Original icon set for browsing menu
  • Support for more aspect ratios - In addition to the already supported 16:9, 19.5:9, and 20:9, 18:9, 21:9, and 22:9 will be supported.

Support for 4:3 and 3:2 aspect ratios for the recent iPad is also planned, but has not yet been finalized as it requires a different design than for mobile.
If you have any requests for its layout or items to be displayed, please let me know.

Reply #8
Thank you, really nice.

Reply #9
@Daiki  ;)
I'm looking forward to it.
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #10
NewMoon 2.0 and 2.0s, which supports the new skin file format, will be available soon.
The new skin file format allows more information to be displayed with the foobar2000 titleformatting.

That's nice! I loved this skin. However there's a small problem: this skin (as well as NightOwl) doesn't show playtime of audio files that are over 1 hour long correctly (screenshot included). I hope this is fixed in the next version.

Reply #11
Thank you for your feedback, fa2_l.

I have just recently found that problem and have already completed the fix.
The new skin will be ready in a few days ;)

Reply #12
Great!