Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: optimize layout & minimize file (Read 6292 times) previous topic - next topic

optimize layout & minimize file

what exactly does this new option do to a file and which formats are supported?

Re: optimize layout & minimize file

Reply #1
I've found that optimize + minimize decreases the size by 8 kByte for FLACs. My guess is those files are already optimized and it's tag padding that's being removed.

Reply #2
thanks for taking time to answer.

so basically, minimize will remove padding? so it is not an alternative to mp3packer, for instance.

what about the optimize function?

Reply #3
(Taken from the status bar)

Optimize file layout: "Optimizes file layout; removes excess padding; moves tags before other content if feasible."

Optimize file layout + minimize file size: "Optimizes file layout; removes all padding; moves tags before other content if feasible."

AAC, MP3, Opus, Vorbis, FLAC and ALAC are supported...
| QAAC ~ 192 kbps |

Reply #4
thanks a lot. i totally overlooked the status bar info.

Reply #5
What exactly is the use of padding? I mean, I understand it is space reserved for metadata, but why does it have to be reserved? What happens if I need more space for metadata after I moved tags to the front and removed all padding? Are these operations reversible?
I'm late

Reply #6
What happens if I need more space for metadata after I moved tags to the front and removed all padding?
If there is no padding, then file needs to be completely rewritten when adding new tags, so it will take more time.

Reply #7
If there is no padding, then file needs to be completely rewritten when adding new tags
Thanks! Thats a good thing for ppl. who don't care about some kbytes on their drives and often update their tags.