Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AAC-LC or HE-AAC best @ 90/100 kbps ? (Read 1194 times) previous topic - next topic

AAC-LC or HE-AAC best @ 90/100 kbps ?

Hello. Welcome opinion. Assume;

ffmpeg 6.1.  libfdk_aac.  -cutoff 15000.  Stereo.  CBR.

Content is a mix of talk and pop/rock music (WAV/CD). Encoding two inhouse fixed bandwidth streams for studio to FM transmitter links;

#1. 90 kbps.
#2. 100 kbps.

For #1 & #2 typical best audio quality; HE-AAC or AAC-LC?  32 or 44.1 kHz?

Thanks.

Re: AAC-LC or HE-AAC best @ 90/100 kbps ?

Reply #1
I think at these bitrates and with that frequency cutoff, SBR (a technique used in AAC-HE to approximate high-frequency content) may do more harm than good. I think AAC-LC may perform more consistent in that scenario.

However, I recommend doing your own listening tests with typical content you'd like to transmit.

Re: AAC-LC or HE-AAC best @ 90/100 kbps ?

Reply #3
For optimal audio quality in a fixed bandwidth scenario, AAC-LC at 44.1 kHz is recommended for both 90 kbps (#1) and 100 kbps (#2) streams.