Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AudioSAFE (Read 152975 times) previous topic - next topic

AudioSAFE

Reply #225
You can do this with the same account, it is best to:

Upload a location 1 with account, then uninstall AS.
Install AS at location 2, with same content (even if in different folders), and then provide account details.

AudioSAFE

Reply #226
Thanks for the reply spoon.

As I've already uploaded some data at my home computer I'll

- uninstall the client there
- install the client at the "fast" location and upload all data from there.
- uninstall the client at the "fast" location
- install the client at home

Or could I just disable the service instead of uninstalling?

AudioSAFE

Reply #228
Do you have any patents pending on the underlying technology?

AudioSAFE

Reply #229
I'm not sure it's good practice to disclose what patents you may or may not have pending. It gives information to possible competitors.

AudioSAFE

Reply #230
IMHO only if it's rather likely for it to get rejected. If not, the competition is going to blocked anyway, if it doesn't agree to your terms. It's a different situation, if you depend on the competition's patents yourself, but I didn't expect this to be the case here. I don't want to start an OT discussion, if spoon wants to keep quiet about this, that's fine.

AudioSAFE

Reply #231
Will an upcoming version of audiosafe have an option to specify a temp file directory?

It currently uses the users temp directory on my SSD which I'd like to spare from these hefty amounts of writes.

AudioSAFE

Reply #233
Will an upcoming version of audiosafe have an option to specify a temp file directory?

It currently uses the users temp directory on my SSD which I'd like to spare from these hefty amounts of writes.

Plus some people only have small SSDs with little free space so I'd say this is a necessary requirement.

AudioSAFE

Reply #235
I'm aware that there are several ways to relocate the temp folder. However, will Audiosafe users realize that all their music data will be written to that folder (when there's no option to configure it)?

It was only by using procmon to monitor the upload progress that I noticed this.

AudioSAFE

Reply #236
Plus some people only have small SSDs with little free space so I'd say this is a necessary requirement.

That shouldn't be a problem as the 100mb+ chunks are only temporarily stored there during upload (as far as I can see).

AudioSAFE

Reply #237
Spoon, I am very enthusiastic and interested in your new business venture. I myself have wondered in the past whether such a system could be made, and it is great to see that someone managed to develop such a system. I would like to wish you all the success with your business. I have a number of questions, which I hope that you are willing to answer.

Suppose that I have ripped a CD, but the rip contains errors (i.e. it does not correspond to AccurateRip database). Then I encode with, for instance, LAME at 128 kbps. If I later recover this file from AudioSAFE, is is still 128 kbps LAME including the errors, or do I get a newly encoded file, based on a perfect rip? In other words: is the file that I receive bit-by-bit identical?

Don't you feel that with AudioSAFE, you are doing double work? In the sence that; in the end you gradually obtain a database of the world's digital music. Such databases may already (in part) exist at for instance, record companies, and of course iTunes, or Spotify. The end result would be similar; a gigantic database of digital music. It would only differ from iTunes and Spotify in the earnings model.

Finally, considering the possible ultimate similarity to, for instance, iTunes and Spotify, aren't you afraid of the legal implications? Although AudioSAFE can technically be called a off-site back-up solution, record companies and their armies of lawyers might see that differently.

AudioSAFE

Reply #238
>is is still 128 kbps LAME including the errors,

It would be this, what ever you provide to AudioSAFE, you get back.

I personally do not think the RIAA would go after a backup service, as they would be saying that any audio cannot be backed up, and it would have to be enforced everywhere there is an online backup service.

The RIAA are more interested where there is a dispute about future earnings, such as streaming, where someone uploads a track to a locker and streams it back, whilst not generating any revenue for the record companies.

> and of course iTunes, or Spotify

iTunes and Spotify might contain most of the worlds audio, but it is not in lossless.

AudioSAFE

Reply #239
Doesn't the copyright law simply state that you're not allowed to make a copy without permission of the owner? And could an online backup, as made with Audiosafe, be viewed as a copy?

I certainly hope that that's not the case with Audiosafe as it's clearly not intended to distribute music to other people.

AudioSAFE

Reply #240
Laws differ from region to region, in one place (large parts of Europe) it is a copyright infringement to rip CDs, do people rip CDs in Europe? yes, has there ever been a prosecution in Europe for ripping CDs? no.

Same goes for backing up audio tracks, in parts of the world it will be copyright infringement, do people still backup their files? yes.

AudioSAFE

Reply #241
>is is still 128 kbps LAME including the errors,
It would be this, what ever you provide to AudioSAFE, you get back.

Your answer raises more questions, that I'm sure you're not willing to answer... 
Let me just say that it sounds mighty impressive, and that I can't help stop wondering how you did it...

AudioSAFE

Reply #242
This might answer some of your unasked questions.

AudioSAFE

Reply #243
Interesting service - uploading my collection ATM (mere 11GB lossless FLAC). Restore costs looks sane.

One question - I store my music on a home server (Ubuntu) and then mount Samba share as a partition (\\192.168.1.2\haen → Z:\). I've pointed AudioSafe to the ''Z:\Music'' folder. What happens, if network share cannot be accessed? Will AudioSafe delete my music from its servers?

Linux client (with a daemon mode) would be nice. ;-)

I do hope that you got your calculations right and your business is financially  sound. Good luck.

AudioSAFE

Reply #244
AudioSAFE will wait until the drive reappears, or it is removed from AudioSAFEs watch list (then the files are soft deleted from AudioSAFE).

AudioSAFE

Reply #245
feature request: ability to delete non-audio files.

i have a bunch of .dts files that are not recognized as audio files. i uploaded an initial version of the files but completely redid the tagging and the old versions are still up on the server and i can't delete them.

AudioSAFE

Reply #246
FYI, I got an inactivity warning recently...And it was classified as spam.

AudioSAFE

Reply #247
I will not disclose any details of how the backend is stored

Can you say how safe your storage is? If you have redundency, if you make backups? I do understand that since uploading is free, I can't expect any guaranty that I'll be able to get my data back, but I'm curious.

AudioSAFE

Reply #248
Right now the data is protected by Raid 6 (that is 2 spares per raid group), in a number of months the data will also be duplicated in a 2nd building.

AudioSAFE

Reply #249
Maybe I'm suggesitng a feature that is already implemented (I intend not upload my > 3TB until I get a better line, so I haven't tested AudioSafe at all):

What about a feature to suggest updated tagging? If you have both the capability of distinguishing different masterings with the same TOC, and sonic fingerprint which can identify them across masters (and even a lossless with a lossy), you could score the metadata variations among user popularity (both based on what they uploaded and on what updates they click-to-adopt). And through dBpoweramp you already have a business relation with major metadata providers, although I still miss Discogs.

I am not sure how much this will pay off, but a very few $$s for a package of view differences and click 'yes please update' on album basis, say, up to '100 albums in the next 30 days' (pay nothing for rejected suggestions) ...? (I for one am already quite a bit annoyed that I didn't tag my remasters properly as such.)

Also, what about joining forces with a download store -- and sites like e.g. Bandcamp? As you intend to store the majority of files sold on planet Tellus, you can offer server space.