Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: AAC Lossless to OGG? (Read 11170 times) previous topic - next topic

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Dear all,

just got a bunch of AAC Lossless collection from my friend but i dont have any portable player on it. I prefer to change it to OGG as my portable player capable doing it. (Actually WMA is fine but i think i am not in the right forum    )

Anyone can have an idea how to make or to convert those collection? Any tools? I google-ed it but got confused with the links. Free converter is preferable.

Thanks

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Reply #1
AAC lossless doesn't exist. You probably mean Apple Lossless (or ALAC).
Both foobar2000 and dbpoweramp can do it on Windows.

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Reply #2
Well, I've got similar (maybe the same) problem. I've got some M4A files (which are considered to be losseless). Some programs recognised these files as AAC. I can play them in RealPlayer or QuckTime player. But I cannot decode them to anything else.
Foobar (still using 0.8.3) says "ERROR (foo_input_std) : MP4: unable to find correct sound track in the MP4 file."
Burrrn says "ERROR: Cannot open audio file"
Even RealPlayer - which is able to play these files - cannot burn audio CD from them !?!

Anybody can help me?
Is there a difference between yes and no?

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Reply #3
You need a dedicated component for foobar2000 and plug-in for dbpoweramp. AFAIK, neither burnn nor RealPlayer support Apple lossless.

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Reply #4
Great, thanks.
foo_alac.dll from here works in my case.

Just curious: file with M4A extension reports as ALAC codec 
Is there a difference between yes and no?

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Reply #7
Thanks for the reply!

Do i need separate encoder like the way Exact Audio Copy doing thing? Or foobar just came with complete encoder?

Thanks

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Reply #8
Thanks for the reply!

Do i need separate encoder like the way Exact Audio Copy doing thing? Or foobar just came with complete encoder?

Thanks

I think you'll need to download an ogg encoder and put it in your foobar folder, but I'm not sure.

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Reply #9
I think you'll need to download an ogg encoder and put it in your foobar folder, but I'm not sure.

I tried OGGDropXPd but it cannot translate ALAC files resulted in error.

Foobar is pretty useless, i tried to open the file but it release 'not supported' error.

I think i need more encoder. Anyone can show me the link? Thanks

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Reply #10
I tried OGGDropXPd but it cannot translate ALAC files resulted in error.

Foobar is pretty useless, i tried to open the file but it release 'not supported' error.

I think i need more encoder. Anyone can show me the link? Thanks

You can try dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC). I find it very useful and pretty straightforward for transcoding audio files. Link here.

You may have to download the relevant codecs for ALAC and OGG formats here.

Search for Apple Lossless and OGG Vorbis in the page above for the required codecs. Hope this helps.
Reason is immortal, all else mortal
- Pythagoras

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Reply #11
You can try dBpowerAMP Music Converter (dMC). I find it very useful and pretty straightforward for transcoding audio files. Link here.

You may have to download the relevant codecs for ALAC and OGG formats here.

Search for Apple Lossless and OGG Vorbis in the page above for the required codecs. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply. Isnt it require money for complete use of the feature? I prefer tool that compeletely free (not trial, shareware, etc) such as OggDropXPd but also have support to decode ALAC files.

Thanks

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Reply #12
Not for ALAC to Ogg conversions, no purchase is required.

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Reply #13
THE tool to use for lossless format conversions under Mac OS X is Max

I just got a Macbook and noticed that iTunes does indeed refer to an AAC lossless format, which, of course, is ALAC.

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Reply #14

I just got a Macbook and noticed that iTunes does indeed refer to an AAC lossless format, which, of course, is ALAC.

Everywhere I look, iTunes refers to it as Apple Lossless.

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Reply #15

I guess if it really bothers you, you could stop using iTunes.  I'd probably just ignore it.

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Reply #17
I prefer tool that compeletely free (not trial, shareware, etc) such as OggDropXPd but also have support to decode ALAC files.

It's as easy as that:
Step 1: download dbpoweramp ( http://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm - scroll to 'Install' then 'download:')
Step 2: go to http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-mp4.htm and download the first one ('m4a, mp4 Codec')
Step 3: go to http://www.dbpoweramp.com/codec-central-ogg.htm and download the first one ('Ogg Codec')
Step 4: Click on the file named 'dMC-r11.5.exe'. Follow the procedure.
Step 5: Click on the file named 'dBpowerAMP-codec-mp4.exe'. Follow the procedure.
Step 6: Click on the file named 'dBpowerAMP-codec-ogg.exe'. Follow the procedure.
Step 7: Run 'dBpowerAMP Music Converter' (as per default you can find it in the start menu)
Step 8: Now you are able to select the .m4a ALAC file and convert it into ogg.

(of course I'd like to use foobar2000 over dbpoweramp but iirc there isn't an ALAC decoder for fb2k 0.9.2)
portable: 128 kbps cbr AAC
local: -7 FLAC

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Reply #19
Thank you for that reply! I'm using ALAC because of my iPod and now I can use it with fb2k, too.
portable: 128 kbps cbr AAC
local: -7 FLAC

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Reply #21

I guess if it really bothers you, you could stop using iTunes.  I'd probably just ignore it.

Why would it bother me that it's correct? 

AAC Lossless to OGG?

Reply #22
Apple must just LOVE that AAC looks like it's Apple Audio Codec.