Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: FFmpeg 3.0 has been released (Read 5938 times) previous topic - next topic

FFmpeg 3.0 has been released

FFmpeg 3.0 "Einstein", a new major release, is now available! Some of the highlights:

The native FFmpeg AAC encoder has seen extensive improvements and is no longer considered experimental
    Removed support for libvo-aacenc and libaacplus
    Over 30 new filters have been added
    Many ASM optimizations
    VP9 Hardware Acceleration (DXVA2 and VA-API)
    Cineform HD decoder
    New DCA decoder based on libdcadec with full support for DTS-HD extensions
    As with all major releases expect major backward incompatible API/ABI changes
    See the Changelog for a list of more updates

We strongly recommend users, distributors, and system integrators to upgrade unless they use current git master.
Every night with my star friends / We eat caviar and drink champagne
Sniffing in the VIP area / We talk about Frank Sinatra
Do you know Frank Sinatra? / He's dead

Re: FFmpeg 3.0 has been released

Reply #1
I thought it could already decode DTS-HD MA. Does anyone know what changed with DTS?

Re: FFmpeg 3.0 has been released

Reply #2
I thought it could already decode DTS-HD MA. Does anyone know what changed with DTS?
Older versions use libdca from the Videolan project. That could only decode the "core" stream (44.1 or 48 kHz) with up to 5.1 channels (a core stream is embedded in every DTS track).
From version 2.7 FFmpeg switched to libdcadec which supports most extensions (like DTS-ES, 96/24 and DTS-HD). In recent months a couple of problems in that decoder (library) were fixed.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.