Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Controlling Foobar with a normal IR remote controller (Read 5636 times) previous topic - next topic

Controlling Foobar with a normal IR remote controller

A few days ago a friend of mine said that she'd give anything for a winamp remote controller. That gave me an idea.

I knew that there's a way to control foobar via Bluetooth but is there a way to do that with a normal IR controller? I have one remote controller for a MiniDisc player which i haven't used for a long time and it would really handy if i could just for example pause foobar with it.
I think I'll need something like IrAssistant to do this, am I right? And some IR receiver.

Has anyone tried this before? It'd be so cool...

Reply #1
You can use LIRC or WinLIRC for that. This is a very powerful programm, but you'll need some time until it's working.
Otherwise (if you are using Windows) you can buy a Media Center Remote Control or something like that. These remotes are pretty cheap so that could be a handy alternative.
Hope that helps

Edit: The Media Center Remotes work with other operating systems, but it could be possible, that you can't assign all buttons.

Reply #2
So all I need to buy is IR receiver? I found some sites that describe how to make a IR receiver by myself but I think I'm more into buying one...

Reply #4
I have always wanted a remote control for my PC and I had been looking into getting an IR one for a while.  I even considered getting a creative soundcard that comes with a remote.  However I bought a new phone recently with bluetooth.  Its awesome.  My remote control not only controls my foobar but it tells me what song is playing.

Reply #5
... or you can use the amazing joystick remote control, that I am using myself ... cheap and easy solution!

http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=50110
for more info.

Yes, I've read whole topic. I took a quick look into prices and it seems cheapest gamepads cost ~5€ and joysticks ~10€. But what do I do with a joystick if I don't have any game to play with it, just control foobar? One problem might be the cord ~2,5 metres seems too small and I'd have to keep it on the floor which might cause probles when stepping on it many times.

I'll have to give it a try anyway. And next time I byu a new cell phone (the one I'm using is now 6 years old) it must have BT.

Reply #7
My Ati Remote Wonder works very nice with a simple Foobar plugin from: http://remotew.free.fr/plugins.htm#foobar

Cheap, intuitive and simple. All you need really. And offcourse the site also offers plugins for all other players as well.

Reply #8
I'm controlling with a serial IR receiver I build, it was really easy...
Then using girder, it can receice signal from any remote and then assign it to an action : volume change, keybord shortcuts, pretty nice...
Just look on the internet for home made serial IR receiver, for mine the parts cost around 7 dollars.

Reply #9
I'm controlling with a serial IR receiver I build, it was really easy...
Then using girder, it can receice signal from any remote and then assign it to an action : volume change, keybord shortcuts, pretty nice...
Just look on the internet for home made serial IR receiver, for mine the parts cost around 7 dollars.

Me too! Very powerfull program with many plugins. Embedded LUA scripting. I use it with an old aiwa CD remote which has buttons suitable for players.
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Reply #10
Yup, same here. I use www.ir2pc.com and last free girder. I think it's 3.29b. The IR itself isn't too important, because girder learns the signals. I use the one from my old Philips CD player.
Girder 4 is bloaty and way too expensive imo.