Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Adding album art erases tags if composer contains "/" (Read 2620 times) previous topic - next topic

Adding album art erases tags if composer contains "/"

When I add album art (JPEG format) to an MP3 file in foobar2000 v1.2.4 beta 3 (although this also happened on my previous installation of v1.1.14 final), it erases the MP3's metadata (ID3v2.3) if the Composer field has a forward slash ('/') in it.

Edit: nevermind, it's not just /. It just happens sometimes, without a noticeable pattern and even with an empty Composer field.

Reply #1
After further research, it appears to be happening only with ID3v2.2.

I'm using Windows XP SP3

Reply #2
“erases the MP3's metadata” where? As viewed in foobar2000 and/or in Windows Explorer?

After just a brief search, I found a post suggesting that foobar2000 cannot support artwork within an ID3v2.2 tag. My guess then is that you have it configured in Advanced Preferences to convert that version to ID3v2.4, which Windows Explorer cannot read.

More information and some simple testing at your end would be very useful.

Reply #3
The metadata isn't showing in foobar2000 or Windows Explorer, although the artwork is. foobar is currently configured to tag at v2.3 and I've noticed that if I change a field (like erase the Composer, as I was doing), that it updates to v2.3 and works fine. I guess that would mean that it's converting the tags to 2.3 to add the artwork but then losing all the data from previously?

Reply #4
Hi,

I reopen this old thread, because in foobar2000_v1.3.9_beta_3 from september 2015 (also many versions before) tags are sometimes* being deleted when attaching a front cover.

*sometimes: of about 100 files, 1 file gets its tags deleted. no randomnes. if it happens, it happens always to the file.

here is a zip file to test:

It contains files of an album and a jpeg front cover.
when you added the unzipped files to foobar and rightclick tagging -> attach pictures -> frontcover and chose the jpeg, you (hopefully) see, that tags from track 1-4 are deleted. track 5 keeps the tags.

I tested this with a clean portable install. I'm not using other software than foobar2000. I'm on Windows 7, 64Bit, it happened on XP too.

If anybody could check this and reproduce (or even fix), it would be great.

cheers!

Reply #5
tags from track 1-4 are deleted.

These files have only ID3v1 tag.

track 5 keeps the tags.

This file has ID3v2 and ID3v1 tags.

foobar2000 writes a picture into ID3v2 tag but doesn't copy other tags from ID3v1 into a new ID3v2 tag. And it seems that it doesn't read ID3v1 block when ID3v2 exists.

Reply #6
Thank you for this precise explanation!

Is there anything, I can set up in the preferences of f2k, to NOT get this undesireable effect?

Reply #7
You can do this:

first: Select your MP3 files -> Tagging -> MP3 tag types -> set ID3v2 checkbox -> Update files
and only then: Tagging -> Attach pictures -> ...

(or just wait for a bugfix)