Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Only Windows Media Player can RIP CDs: "Could not access any of found CD drive" (Read 1371 times) previous topic - next topic

Only Windows Media Player can RIP CDs: "Could not access any of found CD drive"

In the last week or two I've been hit with a problem where
Only Windows Media Player can RIP CDs.

The only suspected change is Windows Updates. 

Does anyone else have this problem?

foobar2000 give the error:

"Could not access any of found CD drives."
"Please shut down any other software possibly locking your CD drive."
"If you're using limited account, please install Nero BurnRights (freeware) to use CD playback functionality."

I get a similar error with Quintessential Media Player.

Of course, I've rebooted ...
Running "as administrator" makes no difference. 
I ran Nero BurnRights 32 and 64 bit versions. 

OS Name   Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version   10.0.17134 Build 17134

foobar2000
v 1.3.19

Re: Only Windows Media Player can RIP CDs: "Could not access any of found CD drive"

Reply #1
Please try also Exact Audio Copy:
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/en/index.php/resources/download/
Install, rip something. Check if there are disc accessibility errors.
See if there is anything more than "Native Win32" interface available at "EAC Options" / "Interface" or if "Native Win32" is grayed out.

Re: Only Windows Media Player can RIP CDs: "Could not access any of found CD drive"

Reply #2
Are you possibly using Remote Desktop (RDP)? Windows 1803 blocks remote drives.

Reply #3
"Native Win32" interface is the selected and the only one available.  The other two are grey and not select-able.

EAC does not throw the "could not access CD drive" error and rips the CD (except for disk read errors)

Not using using Remote Desktop (RDP).

Rebooted after installing EAC (which RIPs OK), but Foobar2000 still throws the "Could not access any of found CD drive" error. 

Reply #4
RESOLVED by "Resetting" Windows (reinstall but keep documents).
This removes all applications, but I used paid application http://web.laplink.com/product/pcmover-professional/ to restore applications after the reinstall.

All burning applications work now.  I have no idea what caused it.