Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: High order ambisonics testing (Read 5342 times) previous topic - next topic

High order ambisonics testing

Are there any freely available samples of 2nd- or 3rd-order ambisonic recordings?

Reply #1
Are there any freely available samples of 2nd- or 3rd-order ambisonic recordings?

Not that I know of unfortunatly  . It's to my understanding that ambisonic recordings can only be made using a Soundfield Microphone (a lot of recording engineer's are starting to buy these). It's very distinct in the way in which the microphone works seeing that it takes into account a X,Y,Z, and W axis seperatly.
budding I.T professional

Reply #2

Not that I know of unfortunatly  . It's to my understanding that ambisonic recordings can only be made using a Soundfield Microphone (a lot of recording engineer's are starting to buy these). It's very distinct in the way in which the microphone works seeing that it takes into account a X,Y,Z, and W axis seperatly.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=312901"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Those are mikes for B-format, which is 1st-order. 2nd order requires 9 mikes. 3rd order requires 16.

Reply #3
Those are mikes for B-format, which is 1st-order. 2nd order requires 9 mikes. 3rd order requires 16.

I understand now, isn't their also a G-Format too? I know about the B-format but the lines after that are kind of blury. The G-Format doesn't require a seperate decoder correct? It's definitely the future for surround, but it's bad enough the average user doesn't even use 5.1 setup correctly.
budding I.T professional

Reply #4
OK, uh... short of 2nd-order recordings, is anybody aware of any B format stuff?

Reply #5
http://www.cantares.on.ca/cds.htm I was browsing around and this is all I could find unfortunatly  .  I will keep searching though. It's very easy to find software related to ambisonic and research, but recordings are hard to come by 
budding I.T professional

Reply #6
Nice! Thanks.

Reply #7
is anybody aware of any B format stuff?
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Alan Parsons Project's Stereotomy is UHJ encoded (Ambisonics), which is 3-2-3 matrxied 1st order horizontal-only Ambisonics (that is W,X,Y only, but having the Z-information won't help you unless you have a suitable 3D decoding rig and speaker setup).

Also, most of [a href="http://www.wyastone.co.uk/nrl/]Nimbus Records[/url] CD's are UHJ encoded, and they decode beautifully when using a UHJ decoder.  Nimbus recently also released a DVD-A series, which has the Ambisonics decoded sound on it:  Nimbus DVD Music