Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Analog Devices AD1985 codec (Read 4021 times) previous topic - next topic

Analog Devices AD1985 codec

Hello, I got this old Intel D865GBF motherboard with integrated Analog Devices AD1985 AC97 codec, after installing the newest version of SoundMAX drivers (v5.0) from Intel website the sound I get on my headphones is altered in a way that resembles pre-echo artifacts, it also sounds equalized although I can't find any equalizer in the settings (except the bass boost which is adjustable in the same place where wave, cd and other volumes may be adjusted  and which I already "muted"...). I think I turned off all the DSP crap in the drivers. The Windows is XP. Any ideas what could I try?
Thanks.

Reply #1
I think there was some fairly well-hidden setting with those AD codecs... look in the mixer. Seems like you already were there though.

Reply #2
I think I've looked everywhere and tried everything, when I switch the settings between headphones, stereo speakers, 5.1/7.1 configs etc. the sound is normal for a couple of seconds just to become altered again - when playing a sample with sharp attack at the beginning, a fade-in can be heard.
I just noticed that when there's some other sound playing in the background, even with 0 volume, the problem disappears. It seems like the driver mutes internal mixer when there's no sound playing, and unmuting it isn't instant which causes the effect.
I recorded how it sounds.

Reply #3
if it it's for playing music, you could try wasapi inside foobar, to get rid of any effects

Reply #4
I recorded how it sounds.

That "ding" sounds like someone blowing in the top of a bottle. Bit it's hard to tell much from without also hearing the undistorted sound.

BTW. Is that the normal windows "ding" (c:\windows\media\ding.wav in XP)? If so then yeah that is really distorted. Sounds like a really strong added "enviroment effect". Are you sure "environment" is set to "none"?

Reply #5
Yes that's that "ding". Environment is set to "none".