Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: [0.9.3 b3] proxy authentification error (Read 2372 times) previous topic - next topic

[0.9.3 b3] proxy authentification error

My work PC uses a proxy.  I found that the foo_freedb2.dll component fails to read the server after the first session with foobar2000 v0.9.3 beta 3, but works fine with beta 2 and earlier versions.  The freedb tagger reports that the track(s) is not found on the server, even for CDs that normally work.  To narrow down the problem, note that the normal response to the Retrieve button in the preferences\tools\tagging\freedb tagger menu is "invalid status code", demonstrating that contact was made with the freedb2.org server.  But when beta 3 is run for the second time and beyond, the response is "proxy authentification error".  I understand that the proxy is looking for my LAN password in this failure case.  I am running on WinXP Pro SP2.  As a work-around, I have reverted back to beta 2.

Reply #1
I noticed that 0.9.3 beta 2 was now producing the same error as beta 3, so I uninstalled and installed beta 4.  I noticed that there is no problem until rebooting the PC.  Before rebooting, I closed and re-opened fb2k several times without getting the proxy authentification error.  The first time I ran fb2k after rebooting, the error was back.  I have no work-around now.

Reply #2
I don't have a solution, but perhaps you can workaround the problem by using JeFCo:

http://www.jesterware.org/software.html

That way, the proxy authentication happens through JeFCo instead of foobar.  Configure foobar to just use a non proxy lookup to your local IP address.  Faster too, if you download the current snapshot of the freedb database and install it locally.

-brendan