Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How Loud Is Too Loud? How Much Can Do Real Damage? (Read 9910 times) previous topic - next topic

How Loud Is Too Loud? How Much Can Do Real Damage?

Hey guys, just got my sennheriser and I love them. They sound great and are so comfortable!!!!

I've noticed something though, I can put my volume at above-than-average (as opposed to my older, cheaper headphones) and although it doesnt feel as loud, it still sounds great. I dont want to damage my ears, the music still sounds great (as opposed to the staticy sound you get with cheaper ones), but how would I know what's safe?

Like I said, I'm just trying to avoid long-term damage

thanks

Reply #1
If it's loud enough to cause discomfort, it's too loud.  That'd be the simplest way of thinking about it.

Reply #2
I can't give you the source, but I remember that I've read somewhere that prolonged exposure to levels greater than 80 dB SPL can damage hearing
If age or weaknes doe prohibyte bloudletting you must use boxing

Reply #3
This is from a german shop offering hearing protection plugs and stuff:

It shows the time peer week you can endure a certain volume without the risk of hearing loss. Here's a second graph comparing the level in decibels to real world sounds:

It says:
40 db: leafes in the wind
65 db: normal speech volume
85 db: employers need to provide hearing protection at this level
110 db: concert
120 db: compressed air hammer or at the stage near the musicians
130 db: jet engine or dance floor in disco
Blubb

Reply #4
Remember that a lot of pop and rock musicians who think the music 'just sounds great' are going deaf.

Reply #5
it all depends on what frequencies are at what dB level, in terms of impacting permanent hearing loss in the human ear.  our ears are not evenly sensitive, some frequencies will damage your ears at lower dB levels than other frequencies.

Reply #6
This is aimed for safety at work, but obviously it applies equally to listening to music:

http://www.isvr.co.uk/reprints/cnwrtext.htm#4

This makes roughly 8 hours a day at 80dB(A) legal, but it's much better to be on the safe side and take long breaks from listening if you're even approaching this level. In truth you can probably go several dBs higher than this, so long as you think about how long you're listening for.