Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: How should I organize files? (Read 5006 times) previous topic - next topic

How should I organize files?

I'm about to start ripping a large CD collection and need some help understanding how to organize it so that I will be able to do whatever I want with the music.  I don't know if this is correct, but it seems like there are two parts to organizing my collection properly:

1. The directory structure and naming system I use for the files I rip;

2. The tagging information the player uses to create playlists.

It is apparent that people use different directory structures, but I don't understand exactly what the principal alternatives are and their respective pros and cons.  Can anyone explain?  Also, is there any connection between the directory structure and tagging information?  How much of my flexibility in creating playlists depends on the tagging information?

What I am planning on doing is using EAC to rip my CD collection into FLAC.  I have 2 hard drives that will be used exclusively for storing these files.  I intend to use Foobar 2000 as a player.  I want to be able to listen to a specific song, album, artist, or genre.  It would also be great if I could do something like listen to all the different artists who have performed versions of the same song.

Reply #1
I use Artist\Album\Track Number Leading 0-Track Name using CDEX
:Foobar 2000:
:MPC --standard:
:iRiver H320 Rockboxed:

Reply #2
Chances are you will use Foobar's built-in database (aka album list panel) which relies on the files' tags to structure your audio collection however you like. Hence I'm not using windows explorer to browse thru the collection, and don't need a fancy directory organization, which is rigid anyway. So basically  I am able to 'dump' all albums in one big directory and let Foobar's database do the organizing (per artist, album, genre, ...).

Reply #3
Chances are you will use Foobar's built-in database (aka album list panel) which relies on the files' tags to structure your audio collection however you like. Hence I'm not using windows explorer to browse thru the collection, and don't need a fancy directory organization, which is rigid anyway. So basically  I am able to 'dump' all albums in one big directory and let Foobar's database do the organizing (per artist, album, genre, ...).
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363465"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I don't find that any good, especially with the chances of filenames colliding. Album art is also much more difficult to implement with that. Backing up is easier with multiple directories.

I use the following:

Single disc, one main artist (featuring artists, etc, info retained in tags):
Album Artist/Album/## - Title.ext

Multi disc, one main artist (as above):
Album Artist/Album/Disc #/## - Title.ext

Compilation/various artists, single disc (multi disc are as above):
Various Artists/Album/## - Title.ext

Soundtrack (movies, games, etc.):
Original Soundtrack/Album/## - Title.ext

Album covers get placed in all directories where tracks reside, named as folder.jpg.
Acid8000 aka. PhilDEE

Reply #4
I do this:

Artist/Date - Album/Track - Title

But I also make tag's for all my files. Dumping a large number's of file in one directory is a really bad idea. It creates a lot of confusion and problems.

Reply #5
all mine are:

[artist]/[album]/[track number XX] - [artist] - [title].[ext]

I use track number so that the tracks get listed in the proper order (abc order), and is expecially useful for various artist CDs.  I put artist in there as well in case something doesn't want to read my tags, artist - title is enough for me in that case.  I would throw in 'album' into the file name, but then it becomes too long for my taste.
Vorbis-q0-lowpass99
lame3.93.1-q5-V9-k-nspsytune

Reply #6
This has been covered before in a few threads.

I use:

Artist/Albulm/Artist - Album - ## - Title.ext
Various Artist/Albulm/Album - Artist - ## - Title.ext
Soundtracks/Albulm/Album - Artist - ## - Title.ext
Musicals/Album/Artist - Album - ## - Title.ext

Reply #7
artist\date-album(disc)\tracknumber-title

Reply #8
Thanks for the suggestions about directory structure and naming.  I'm still a bit unclear as to whether the different schemes suggested have any impact on my ability to listen to my music in any way I want.  For the sake of simplicity, one directory would seem to be best.  I understand the disadvantage of this would be the possibility of filenames conflicting.  What would be wrong with just using numbers for each album and increasing sequentially?  I thought all the data for manipulating playlists resides in the tags?  Am I missing out on important considerations other than playlists?

Also, I'm a bit confused about why many of the schemes have track number or title in the structure.  Isn't this just applicable if you rip by track, not image?  I was planning on doing images with cuesheets and had thought that would result in one file per CD, or am I mistaken again?

Reply #9
Also, I'm a bit confused about why many of the schemes have track number or title in the structure.  Isn't this just applicable if you rip by track, not image?  I was planning on doing images with cuesheets and had thought that would result in one file per CD, or am I mistaken again?
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=363594"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Plenty of things will list the files by title alpha sort, including the track number lists the files in the correct/album order.

I don't have a clue what you mean by imaging, unless you were making an .iso file like is used to burn a red book audio cd.