Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Help trying to compile Ogg Vorbis SDK 1.2 (Read 8860 times) previous topic - next topic

Help trying to compile Ogg Vorbis SDK 1.2

I'm trying to compile ogg vorbis in a computer with Windows XP.

I downloaded some packages from the founder's page but was unable to compile all the libraries I needed. Besides, it seems I'm missing some headers.

I downloaded de SDK 1.0 from a webpage and compiled succesfully. The thing is, the function ov_open is strongly discouraged for windows users (and the application crashed when it was called)

The 1.0 SDK had the following:

--> bin
ogg.dll
ogg_d.dll
vorbis.dll
vorbis_d.dll
vorbisenc.dll
vorbisenc_d.dll
vorbisfile.dll
vorbisfile_d.dll

--> include
--> ogg
ogg.h
os_types.h
--> vorbis
vorbisfile.h
vorbisenc.h
codec.h

--> lib
ogg.lib
ogg_d.lob
ogg_d.pdb
ogg_static.lib
ogg_static_d.lib
vorbis_d.lib
vorbis_d.pdb
vorbis.lib
vorbis_static.lib
vorbis_static_d.lib
vorbisenc.lib
vorbisenc_d.lib
vorbisenc_d..pdb
vorbisenc_static.lib
vorbisenc_static_d.lib
vorbisfile.lib
vorbisfile_d.lib
vorbisfile_d.pdf
vorbisfile_static.lib
vorbisfile_static.lib

I can't seem to get the ogg headers nor the whole set of libraries. I've built some of the libraries but had problems building the others.

I use VS2008 but also tried loading them with VC6 (most workspaces were saved in that version) but failed to compile again.

Does anyone know any way around this problem? I can't find these files I need. (at least ogg, vorbisfile, vorbis libraries with the corresponding headers)

I've found some files on these pages but I'm missing most of the SDK (ogg and vorbis headers among those)
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jfe1205/OggVorbis/
http://www.rarewares.org/ogg-libraries.php

I need the 1.2 version to use the ov_fopen function for windows users that is located in the "vorbisfile.h".

Here's the official download page:
http://downloads.xiph.org/releases/vorbis/

Can anyone help me with this?
- By assisting me in the building of the whole SDK or providing me with the binaries?

I intend to use it with OpenAl (wich I'm using succesfully).

As a last resort. What other methods, supported libraries could I use?

Thank you very much.

Reply #1
What's your ultimate goal here? Loading and playing some ogg vorbis files? If you can't get it compiling and working, I'd recommend checking out the FMOD audio library as a replacement for OpenAL. It includes support for ogg vorbis out of the box, as well as a host of other features.

Reply #2
I know about FMOD (and have used it) but I'm not interested in replacing OpenAl.  Thanks.

The ultimate goal is decoding a .ogg buffer to load into OpenAl and play it.

Reply #3
I'm trying to compile ogg vorbis in a computer with Windows XP.

Which is your problem right there  . I personally think it would be easier to do on Linux as the shared objects probably already exists as do the necessary headers. Beyond that I am not sure what you could use.

By assisting me in the building of the whole SDK or providing me with the binaries?

I am still "learning" the ropes when it comes to writing C code.  I would attempt to, but the unfortunate thing is I use Linux myself. 

The ultimate goal is decoding a .ogg buffer to load into OpenAl and play it.

Doesn't OpenAL have built in support for both Ogg and Vorbis or have you already established this? I saw some libraries and tutorials out there where they have a few built-in functions for it.
budding I.T professional

Reply #4
I'm sorry I forgot to reply to this.

I solved the problem a couple of days later after the OP and I forgot to post about it.

Here's a raw set of instructions to do it I wrote for myself.

Download
libogg-1.1.4
libvorbis-1.2.3

go to the win32 folder of the ogg folder
build static
build dynamic
place the object Files, the object file libraries, the program debug database in your lib folder.
place the libogg.dll in your system32 folder (or your chosen place for dlls)
make sure you include the ogg and vorbis headers in the proper inclusion folders.

^^ These steps are needed to compile libvorbis.
go to the win32 folder of the libvorbis folder
compile the static
place all relevant files in the proper places
compile the dynamic
if you get an error like this one:
Error 2 error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _analysis_output_always vorbis.def
open vorbis.def and look for the line where _analysis_output_always is specified, and put a semi colon in front of it. that'll comment out the line.
The function definition itself is normally commented out in the code, so that's why you're having this problem.
then place each file in it's place and voilá.

You're done.

Make a sample project and test it.
(linking to these libs will suffice: alut.lib openal32.lib libvorbisfile.lib)

Thanks for helping, and sorry for not answering. I realize the OP was not good.