Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Failing to Load DLLs (Read 9141 times) previous topic - next topic

Failing to Load DLLs

I'm having a weird problem with foobar. I'm using the latest beta and since last year I've been using a layout which worked fine until a few months ago. Now I have changed the layout and when foobar starts, I get this error for several components, always different, but I think it's almost always 4 components which fail to load:

[blockquote]Failed to load DLL: [name of the component]
Reason: A dynamic link library (DLL) initialization routine failed.
[/blockquote]

What is it that I can do this to solve it and what could be causing the trouble? The new layout used with WSH panel mod or...?

Failing to Load DLLs

Reply #1
Can you note the names of the components that fail?

Failing to Load DLLs

Reply #2
It's always the 4 different ones, never the same. 

Failing to Load DLLs

Reply #3
I think components are loaded in a different, random order on each startup to make developers think before doing any funny business (like something as sloppy as to depend on the component loading order).

You could use Process Monitor (see the Support forum sticky) and see in which order are the components really loaded in a few runs (search for foo_something.dll in the log). Maybe you will see the same one culprit before the different failing component each time.
Full-quoting makes you scroll past the same junk over and over.

Failing to Load DLLs

Reply #4
Hello all 

Since my last visit, I'm again having problems with my dear foobar. Hope you can help.

I'm using last.fm app, and until a few days ago, I had the foobar version 1.0.1 and the audioscrobbler ver 1.4.6 to support the scrobbling. It all worked fine.

Then 2 days ago, scrobbling not working. I tried installing the new ver of the scrobbler, then the new ver of foo, then the old, and now what I have done is installed the newest foobar ver (1.1 beta 2) and downloaded the last.fm client 1.5.4 and all put together, I put a song to play and again- nothing.

this is what was written under my foo Preferences-Components, about the scrob.  'Component not loaded'

Failing to Load DLLs

Reply #5
Hm...

I've searched through the log and it's always success. Now. The previous time it was the WSH panel mod...

Failing to Load DLLs

Reply #7
OK, I have removed foo_covers_mod.dll, foo_uie_biography.dll and foo_uie_lyrics2 and now the messages don't appear.

Failing to Load DLLs

Reply #8
Oh, no! I'm again having this message.

I've removed the add-ons the troubleshooter finds problematic, but it hasn't really helped. Is there any other way apart from Process Monitor to find the problematic add-on?

Failing to Load DLLs

Reply #9
This time all these made it happen: foo_ui_columns (0.3.8.8), foo_softplaylists, foo_skip, foo_uie_biography, foo_uie_esplaylist.

Failing to Load DLLs

Reply #10
Here is a different direction to explore. For quite a while now, foobar expects:

1. cfg files in folder named configuration. these correspond to your components and core components
2. All 3rd party components to be in their own folder named foo_something[name of dll]
3. these 3rd party component folders to be in a parent folder named user-component.

This is not the manner it was done in the past. If you have inconsistencies here, it will cause the problem you are reporting.

I can trigger this issue at will if I violate the above.

Failing to Load DLLs

Reply #11
I suffered the same issue when I decided to install a bunch of input components to my already overloaded foobar. I tracked it down by removing the newly added components and then adding them one by one, it came to a point where adding any one more input component would trigger the same error.
Could this be caused by having more than a hardcoded maximum number of components installed?

Failing to Load DLLs

Reply #12
There is no hard coded maximum number of components you may install.

Failing to Load DLLs

Reply #13
If you run the troubleshooter (in the help menu) and have known problematic components, then you should probably remove or (if possible) upgrade them.

If you continue to have problems after doing so, please let us know.
elevatorladylevitateme

Failing to Load DLLs

Reply #14
I'm resurrecting this thread because 3 years laters I managed to reproduce this same problem.
I notice that if I have 120 (109 in user-components folder plus the 11 standard components installed by the installer) components installed, foobar2000 fails to load one of them, at random, each time you start. If I add one more component, foobar2000 will fail to load 2 of them, if I add one more, foobar2000 will fail to load 3 of them... always different ones each time.
Note that, while I do have problematic components installed, I can uninstall them and try again, but of course this would not be a real test case for this situation if I don't uninstall all the problematic components AND install the same number of "good" components that I have now. I dont even know if there is 120 known working non-crashware components....
Is it really posible for a problematic component to break foobar2000 so bad that it stops loading other components, but just a different one each time, but not all of the ones being loaded after it, but just one of them, at random? It seems unlikely to me but I'm not a programmer...

Failing to Load DLLs

Reply #15
Look here.

Failing to Load DLLs

Reply #16
Thanks for the pointer, honestly I didn't use the search, when I found the issue again I just searched or my own post ;-)