Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Feature request: 'Smart' shuffle [MOVED from General - (fb2k)] (Read 1013 times) previous topic - next topic

Feature request: 'Smart' shuffle [MOVED from General - (fb2k)]

I have a gigantic music library that is almost 1TB in size. I have it all stored on a SD card that is in my phone. I'm using Foobar2000 for Android. I have my phone connected to my car via bluetooth, and when I get in my car, it plays from my library on shuffle.

The problem is that it will sometimes play like 3 Lil' Wayne songs in a row, which I do not want. I want to be able to tell the music player when it's in shuffle mode to abide by certain rules so that there is a variety of music played. Such as never play two songs back to back that have the same genre. Or don't play songs by the same artist until you've played 10 songs by other artists. Or make sure that 20% of all songs played are country songs from the 1950s, or whatever.

is there a plugin that can do this? If not, could this feature be added to the app?

Re: Feature request: 'Smart' shuffle [MOVED from General - (fb2k)]

Reply #1
can't do one.
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #2
This component has some similar features as I recall, although was quite tedious to set up last time I checked:
https://www.foobar2000.org/components/view/foo_random_pools

With it you can generate blocks of tracks that meet certain criteria (e.g. only from certain genre) and then mix and match different blocks in a playlist to get roughly what you described.

Reply #3
Ultimately, it is a story of "Can it be used on Android?"

Components in foobar2000 cannot be used on mobile (Android and iOS).
Also, you cannot add new functions by yourself.
SHURE SRH1840, SENNHEISER HD660S2, SENNHEISER HD 490 PRO, DT 1990 PRO, HiFiMAN Edition XS, Bowers & Wilkins P7, FiiO FT5, 水月雨 (MOONDROP) 空鳴 - VOID, Nakamichi Elite FIVE ANC, Bose QuietComfort 45 (made a Upgrade/Balanced Cable by myself)

Reply #4
Somehow I missed the Android part, but nonetheless, he could still use desktop foobar to prepare the playlists and export them onto the phone. But other than that not much can be done.

Reply #5
Playlist tools. See my sig.

It does exactly that. Both, pools with specific proportions AND ordering (like 5 from artist A then 3 from artist B) or multiple smart shuffle options to ensure no artist is repeated. Like this
https://engineering.atspotify.com/2014/02/how-to-shuffle-songs/

Reply #6
@regor

How to use it with foobar2000 mobile for Android?
It would be helpful if you could briefly explain.

Thanks.

Reply #7
You don't.  There is no components for mobile, obviously.

Create the playlist first on PC and transfer them, already pre-shuffled, to mobile. Instead of playing the entire library as is, playlists (even if it's the entire library mix) can be created beforehand with the requested conditions using my scripts. Thought that could be a solution since the question is on the main foobar forum, not the mobile one, so maybe the user is open to also use PC.

In case you control foobar with an online controller, then my scripts are compatible with my online controller preset too.

Reply #8
Thanks.

After all, it is the ingenuity of Playlist creation.
foobar2000 mobile for Android or iOS has less features.
        ↑ this is it
It's foobar2000 mobile, so I want an easy setting.
I want simple and convenient functions.

Reply #9
Yep, me too... but mobile development has been pretty slow. And smart shuffle is not even on PC, so I don't expect it anytime soon on mobile.

Reply #10
on/off 
Shuffle (defalut)
  Same Artist
  Same Album
  Same Year
  Same Genre

I wonder if this can be added as an Option.