Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Best MP3Gain Setting? (Read 5725 times) previous topic - next topic

Best MP3Gain Setting?

I currently have MP3Gain set to 89.0 but all the songs are too soft, and I have to turn the volume at about 80% on my ipod. I only use trackgain, btw. Anyways, I was wondering what's a louder, or the loudest setting I can set MP3Gain at, and still have minimal distortion.
Thanks.

Best MP3Gain Setting?

Reply #1
I currently have MP3Gain set to 89.0 but all the songs are too soft, and I have to turn the volume at about 80% on my ipod. I only use trackgain, btw. Anyways, I was wondering what's a louder, or the loudest setting I can set MP3Gain at, and still have minimal distortion.

well, you could just set a louder db value, like 91db or something, depending on the kind of music you usually listen to and how sensitve you are to clipping issues.
the other option would be to apply maximum clipp gain, meaning mp3gain chooses the highest possible gain without causing clipping.
however, you might to have a look at the mp3gain faq for further details and risks.
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Best MP3Gain Setting?

Reply #2
93db is the limit for most recent albums. i use it on all my encodes! for claasical 89db is good, sometimes even too high!

Best MP3Gain Setting?

Reply #3
Where is this GAIN setting present (how do I access this setting)?

Best MP3Gain Setting?

Reply #4
I currently have MP3Gain set to 89.0 but all the songs are too soft, and I have to turn the volume at about 80% on my ipod.

what headphones are you using?
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Best MP3Gain Setting?

Reply #5
Where is this GAIN setting present (how do I access this setting)?

If you mean target volume (default 89 db) it is right above the file list to the left.

Best MP3Gain Setting?

Reply #6
Yes, what headphones are you using? Many higher end headphones are difficult for portable players to drive with out a headphone amp...
All of my music has been mp3gained (album gain) to 89 dB and I never have had to raise my iPod volume above about 50% with a pair of Koss KSC50s (really nice sounding earclip style headphones, BTW).

Best MP3Gain Setting?

Reply #7
Yes, what headphones are you using? All of my music has been mp3gained (album gain) to 89 dB and I never have had to raise my iPod volume above about 50%

maybe he likes music extremely loud or is almost deaf
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Best MP3Gain Setting?

Reply #8
Sorry about reviving this dead thread. I forgot to reply.

Anyways, my ears are fine!    And I don't like very loud music.
I'm using Sennheiser MX500 with my iPod and occasionally Koss PortaPros.