Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 2TB (Tape) Backup System (Read 3735 times) previous topic - next topic

2TB (Tape) Backup System

I'm considering making my RAID 1 HDDs RAID 0, and then backing up to tape or something.

My only requirement is that it has to be at least 2TB, ideally 4TB, and no more than 500 bucks, ideally 300.

Ideas?

2TB (Tape) Backup System

Reply #1
Tape backup is a pretty expensive proposition.  Even with the high hard drive prices lately, it would still be more affordable to buy 4TB of hard disks than a tape drive + tapes.

2TB (Tape) Backup System

Reply #2
I already have 10x2TB hds, in raid1.

2TB (Tape) Backup System

Reply #3
Well, a LTO Ultrium 5 cartridge at 1.5 TB is about 1/2 - 1/3 of the price of a 1.5 TB hard drive.  But an LTO Ult 5 tape drive probably costs more than your 10 hard drives.  If you expect your RAID 1 array to expand, then the tape drive is probably worth it in the long run.