Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Mr QuestionMan 0.6 released (Read 45844 times) previous topic - next topic

Mr QuestionMan 0.6 released

Reply #75
Code: [Select]
$ mrquestionman [-R] <filename>
would be all i need, but then again, i'm just a piece of blah w/o practical knowledge. please consider this as a feature request.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=283267"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

It will be done in next version of Mr QuestionMan ME.

I absolutely love this program but I have one thing that would be completely awesome for me that's not currently there.  The ability to export the scan info into an external file would be very nice.

Not that I'm ungrateful for what I've been given
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=283160"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

See above.

Thank you for your suggestions. Any ideas that may improve Mr QuestionMan ME are welcomed.

Reply #76
It's handy that Mr QuestionMan ME remembers the last folder - but how about a favourite folders list?  So you could easily jump (back) to your root music folder and other core locations.

Not hugely useful, but possibly so.

Edit: Also, there is a flaw (IMO) with both Mr QuestionMan and Mr QuestionMan ME regarding the window size saving.

If I maximise the window and exit the next time I open the app the window's restore size is the same size as my desktop (same as maximise size).  I hate it when you have to keep resizing windows from a maximised size.  I have a few apps that fall down like this.

The size of the restore window size should be stored in local variables, and recorded to INI when closing - not the actual/current form size.

If you don't understand what I mean resize either app to a nice size and exit.  Start up and the window is as you left it.  Now maximise the window and exit.  Start up and the window is full size.  Hit maximise and there is no visible change.  Your restore size settings have effectively been lost.

Yes, I'm a pedant.
I'm on a horse.

Reply #77
I'd be nice if you could save the scan level integer. Every time I start the app. I have to up it one level. Just a bit annoying, nothing serious.
//From the barren lands of the Northsmen

Reply #78
Greetings!

Today I started working on Mr QuestionMan 0.6.3 ME.
It's rolling on just nicely.
Keep in mind that I'll take into consideration any suggestion been made until its release (and thus - *possible*, implement it).

Cheers!

Reply #79
Greetings!

Keep in mind that I'll take into consideration any suggestion been made until its release (and thus - *possible*, implement it).

Cheers!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=283372"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

good news  I really like your branch a lot...I guess EncSpot should give some inspiration . Being able to display the LAME Tag would be nice...as well as a better identification method for non-lame files...and graphs would cool too.
--alt-presets are there for a reason! These other switches DO NOT work better than it, trust me on this.
LAME + Joint Stereo doesn't destroy 'Stereo'

Reply #80
Icons are open source now? 

They were granted to ONE person. And Miriam is NOT the person.

Violator...

Reply #81
f1losof:

What are you trying to learn me with your Wikipedia link ? Marxism ? ... Thks a lot
I was just pointing that the communism utopy died in Staline's gulags for me ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gulag

even if Stallman looks more like Marx (specially with his huge beard  ) I coudn't resist to play on words with Stall(ine)man ...

... sorry if it was not of the best taste

Reply #82
Okay there are some things I need to get off my chest.

First of all, what Miriam did might be okay in respect to the LGPL, but from an ethical/personal point of view, I feel disrespected and I'm very upset. He forked my application just a few hours after my official release, over an added feature that is a matter of a couple of coding minutes. I could understand that, if the development of the application was dead or the changes were significant. He made no effort to contact me prior to his release. Matter of fact, he STILL hasn't contacted me, it's obvious he has no intention to work with me and his only interest lies in his 15 minutes of fame. The situation feels a bit like I'm driving my car, stop at the lights, somebody throws me out of my car and I'm left there standing like "wtf?".

But that's open source to me, isn't it? Well, to be honest, this is not how I imagine open source to work and I'm starting to loose my belief in it. Miriam at least did respect the license and the issue is more a personal one because I feel like I was disrespected on a personal level.
But there are people that don't respect the licenses no matter what. And I see it every day. It's frustrating to see people use somebody's code. Take what they want, build upon that, improve what they need and never make a contribution back. It's even more frustrating to see people use open source code in shareware and commercial applications.

Anyway, what happened can't be changed now. I'm gonna take a step back and let Miriam run with it for a while and see what he comes up with. I've got enough other things to do, I'm not gonna waste any more time with this for now.

And to the people that don't like the humour in the application: If you don't like it, don't use it. It's that simple. Humour is one of the most important things in life. A humourless world is a world I don't want to live in.

Oh, and Jojo, please get informed before you post something. You seem to be talking about a lot of stuff you have no clue about (and not just in this thread). You know what they say: "It's better to keep the mouth shut and being suspected for being an idiot than open the mouth and remove every doubt..." But this seems to apply to more and more people on HA recently...

Thanks to everybody that shows support and respect to me. I REALLY appreciate it a lot. It's pretty much the only thing freeware authors get back for their efforts and time and it's what keeps them going. Thanks.

Gambit

Reply #83
Gambit I understand and share your point of view, Miriam is making too much "show" for what he did..

I liked the humour in Mr QuestionMan 0.6  , humour is indeed necessary.

Reply #84
I undertand Gambits position, but also sympathice with Miriam's newbie enthusiasm ... sad you 2 couldn't talk about it.

Reply #85
@gambit:
I'd propose to take a break from the whole thing and distract yourself with other thoughts. Currently, you're (understandable) a bit hot-headed and may make spontaneus decisions which you may later regret. After a while, you may realise that the whole thing - besides of the rudeness and disrespect-issue - isn't such a big deal and that neither miriam nor open-source is currently being a threat which may hijack your project. As long as credits are given and miriam respects the licence, things can only improve for both of you, because... don't forget that this can also result in back-and-forth porting of your version and the fork - both of you can freely take from each other. And _if_ miriam would do too many unethical things, then lets say that fame and shame are as close to each other as love and hate - especially at a place like ha.org. So, take a break and cool down, and then you may recognize that as long as the licence is respected, the situation actually isn't as bad as it seems to you right now.

@miriam:
It would be quite fair if you use your own thread for discussion and announcements of your own fork, and only use this thread to discuss gambits version and to coordinate stuff between your fork and gambits version.
_____

"Don't shoot the messenger"

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #86
similarly, i see both sides...

its a great, and much needed program gambit.  first of all, thank you.  thanks to both of you coders really.  you are both very talented.  i have loads of respect for both of you. nevertheless, miriam should have talked to gambit before he did this, not out of legality, but out of respect, but keep in mind everyone, that (at least i believe) miriam's intentions were pure.  he did not intend on being rude...  it appears that he was just trying to be helpful, and that he was...  the whole situation appears kind of unfortunate, but when you look at the big picture, a great product was produced, and i dont care who's edition i have, i have great respect for both of you.
a windows-free, linux user since 1/31/06.

Reply #87
I agree that Miriam is not wrong in a legal point of view, but just an email saying "Gambit, I have an idea" after the release could have avoided all this mess.

What it's done, it's done. It cant be changed. Next time, just e-mail the original programmer saying what you're going to do. That cant be harmful, can it? 
Alguém pare o mundo que eu quero descer!!

Reply #88
AAC/MP4/M4A support would be nice, whether done by Miriam OR Gambit.

Greetings!

Cheers!
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=283372"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Reply #89
I am really, really, really sad about the situation too ...

Gambit's work rocks ...
Burrrn (+Burnatonce) has replaced Nero for me &
MrQuestionMan (+ ME recursive scan) has replaced VorbisExtension for me ...

so when it comes to sweet little audio toolz he is one of my favorite coder ...
he was even more when I saw he started officially using LGPL ...

I would have liked Madah to officially release Frontah as GPL too ... instead of ... happyware ... LOL ... maybe there would have been an evil Miriam-like apprentice coder to keep it alive ...

I LIKE Madah & Gambit's Humour !

If what happened
- takes Gambit away from free software
- takes Gambit away from coding at all ...

I am very angry at Miriam !!!
I don't think you're so evil as I don't think you even wanted what's happening ...
But you can't come & say "hello, I added 3 lines of codes, I am the boss now"
Even if you didn't said it ... it was written between the lines ...

This is unwritten coding-etiquette violation ...

Where would Vorbis be now if Garf's tunings would have angered Monty ...
... nowhere ...

The difference is that Monty is a "linux native coder" ... so Garf could have done whatever he wanted with the code ... "native linux dev" are deeply convince that the GNU way is the right way ... so they don't care for their code as they know their soft is not their propriety ... their soft belongs to the community & they don't care much about fame ...

Gambit is a "windows native coder", obviously his soft is like his child to him ... that's not the GNU way of thinking ...

You both made error ...
Gambit under-estimated the LGPL
Miriam over-estimated Gambit's trust in LGPL, thinking he wouldn't care ...

to my experience ... there is a clash between what GPL means to linux native people : freedoom ... & what GPL means to windows native people: freeness ...

as a native windows coder Gambit misstaken free software with freeware ...
here is the result ...

you're both wrong, but for me, as the last new comer, Miriam you must take your pride away & make the first step toward Gambit ...

if you don't you'd better code us a kick ass next MrQM ME Fork ...
cauz otherwise we'll recall you as the INFAMOUS guy who killed MrQM !!!

Reply #90
Quote Gambit:
"The situation feels a bit like I'm driving my car, stop at the lights, somebody throws me out of my car and I'm left there standing like "wtf?" "

big misstake ... with LGPL you're in the public transport ...

Reply #91
Mr QM already supports AAC. only the MP4 container makes him choke.
as stated by Gambit a few times already, he most probably won't implent support for MP4, so it may be up to Miriam or sb else.
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)

Reply #92
Icons are open source now? 

They were granted to ONE person. And Miriam is NOT the person.

Violator...[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=283463"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The icons are part of the resources used in that program. Thanks to the GNU licenses virotic behaviour, they must be under the LGPL. The same applies to Mr QuestionMan's picture in the about box.

If Gambit is the owner of the copyright in those graphics, he automatically licensed them under the LGPL when he released the sources under that license. If he isn't the owner, and has no rights to redistribute them ("forward the grant"), then he is the one violating the LGPL, not Miriam

What this thread badly needs are large quantities of Midol. Oh, and people that have some clue on licensing.

Reply #93
WavPack 4 files informations are now correct (I mean PROFILE information). Many thanks
I've noticed than 'extra' optimizations are not reported by MQM (they are present in WavPack header): was it intended?

Another thing: MQM supports now several multichannel format, but correct me if I'm wrong, there's no column to indicate the number of channels (might be interesting, for AC3 files, or some lossless mono).

Reply #94
Oh, and people that have some clue on licensing.

i think there are 2 diferent things here:

1) legally/licensing wise
2) morally/politelly wise

1) legally/licensing wise, Miram was perfect, (or more likelly, almost perfect, as i don't know if using the same name as gambit's is leegal): she used the LGPL license rights.

2) morally/politelly wise, Miriam was totally wrong, as said, releasing a "major new version", of a just released tool, on the same topic as the original author, without even talking to him first, was totally unacceptable, even if miram's unexperience could somehow forgibe her a little.

Also, IMHO, i think nowadays "legally", is diferente than "morally", when it shouldn't be, as what is morall is what should rule the world, but lawyers got very smart, and now they rule the world (disclaimer: at 65 years old, my father just got a lawyer degree, and i have various lawyer friends). Laws should be used to enforce moralitty, but nowadyas, laws are used to make money (patents, etc), without any moral. My 2 cents.

Reply #95
as stated by Gambit a few times already, he most probably won't implent support for MP4, so it may be up to Miriam or sb else.
[a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=283516"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I never said that. I just said that mp4 support is a bit more complicated, because there is no documentation available. You have to hack it together from available C++ code and by reverse engineering. Actually, to jarsonic a bit from behind the scenes, somebody (not me, my mp4 support in Burrrn is eh... very hackish ) already did write proper support for mp4 in Delphi, but it isn't released exactly because of no trust in open source.

Reply #96
Proper "forking" of open-source and remerging with the base in action:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index....showtopic=31664

As others already said: the licence is not the problem, but the handling. However, you cannot have freedom and flexibility without responsibility. Obviously, not everyone is gonna act in a responsible manner. Still, responsibility is not something which can be enforced with laws - the world is full of it yet still, that didn't make humans more responsible - more like the opposite.

edit: what you do with laws, is remove the need for responsibility - but not create responsible behaviour. The fact that most of the world is overflooded with laws - and therefore doesn't need responsible behaviour - is the reason for your current problems with MrQuestionman

- Lyx
I am arrogant and I can afford it because I deliver.

Reply #97
Okay there are some things I need to get off my chest.

First of all, what Miriam did might be okay in respect to the LGPL, but from an ethical/personal point of view, I feel disrespected and I'm very upset. He forked my application just a few hours after my official release, over an added feature that is a matter of a couple of coding minutes. I could understand that, if the development of the application was dead or the changes were significant. He made no effort to contact me prior to his release. Matter of fact, he STILL hasn't contacted me, it's obvious he has no intention to work with me and his only interest lies in his 15 minutes of fame. The situation feels a bit like I'm driving my car, stop at the lights, somebody throws me out of my car and I'm left there standing like "wtf?".

But that's open source to me, isn't it? Well, to be honest, this is not how I imagine open source to work and I'm starting to loose my belief in it. Miriam at least did respect the license and the issue is more a personal one because I feel like I was disrespected on a personal level.
But there are people that don't respect the licenses no matter what. And I see it every day. It's frustrating to see people use somebody's code. Take what they want, build upon that, improve what they need and never make a contribution back. It's even more frustrating to see people use open source code in shareware and commercial applications.

Anyway, what happened can't be changed now. I'm gonna take a step back and let Miriam run with it for a while and see what he comes up with. I've got enough other things to do, I'm not gonna waste any more time with this for now.

And to the people that don't like the humour in the application: If you don't like it, don't use it. It's that simple. Humour is one of the most important things in life. A humourless world is a world I don't want to live in.

Oh, and Jojo, please get informed before you post something. You seem to be talking about a lot of stuff you have no clue about (and not just in this thread). You know what they say: "It's better to keep the mouth shut and being suspected for being an idiot than open the mouth and remove every doubt..." But this seems to apply to more and more people on HA recently...

Thanks to everybody that shows support and respect to me. I REALLY appreciate it a lot. It's pretty much the only thing freeware authors get back for their efforts and time and it's what keeps them going. Thanks.

Gambit
[{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Greetings Gambit!
Actually, I'm really sorry about the situation created, and I wanted to publicly express my appologies to you.
As I've stated in [a href="http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=32441]this[/url] topic, I prefered coding in the last days and, unfortunately, I neglected somehow team cooperation.
I admit, from an ethical point of view, it were corectly if I had write to you from the first place about my intentions before I post any form of mod of your software.
I really respect your work, you've done a wonderful job with Mr QuestionMan and we all really need you keep going on improve it.
These were all my intentions - to improve your software. I didn't release Mr QuestionMan ME just to obtain a 7 days momentum or something like this, it would be absolutely ridiculous. I released Mr QuestionMan ME and I've kept on improving it just to try to take - IMO - Mr QuestionMan a step further.
All started when I saw some people wanting recursive scanning -- and, seeing that it's written in Delphi I said - why not? Let's do it.
So, I've had from the start in the head the idea of making something to help SOME people. I said before, there is place for anybody, I frankly thing you don't have to be upset on the release of Mr QuestionMan ME. Really, this isn't competition, there are 2 versions of the same software. I think for the future that the improvement on a version will be good for the another, and vice-versa (since they are both include the source code). Actually, may be even more Delphi programmers here that may take a look on the code and help things go further.
It's a win-win situation, that's how I see the all "picture".
@OggZealot: I'm really not feeling like "wow,  I added 3 lines of codes, I am the boss now". It's simply stupid. I acknowledge Gambit as the real developer of this project.
I call myself a guy that made some contribution to this project, and nothing more.
I just wanted to help, that's all.

Gambit, keep up the good work.
We need you.

Please accept my appologies.

Friendly,
Vlad.

Reply #98

I'm sorry to hear this.  I'm still using 0.6 and was going to wait for your next release.

Reply #99
I never said that. I just said that mp4 support is a bit more complicated, because there is no documentation available... <snip>
ah. I though that this post meant the above. sorry if I misunderstood anything 
Nothing but a Heartache - Since I found my Baby ;)